cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup for SQL Server - snapshot versus standard client

boblatchford
Level 2

Just trying to clarify something.

Under what circumstances would you choose to use the NetBackup Snapshot Client rather than the standard NetBackup for SQL Server? My understanding from what I've read is that the former is more impacting (requiring a quiescing of the database being backed up) and less efficient (being a backup of the entire datafile rather than just the data as in a stream based backup) so in which specific scenarios would you want to use the snapshot client? I've read about instant recovery features but do these offer anything more than the database snapshot functionality present in Enterprise Editions of SQL Server?

One other question around the licensing - am I right in understanding that the NetBackup Snapshot Client requires it's own license? Does this need to be purchased in addition to the standard NetBackup for SQL Server license even if you're only using the snapshot feature?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Type error in the manual...

Yes, you would need both NetBackup Snapshot Client and NetBackup for SQL Server because the policy type is still MS-SQL.

Filesystem/volume snapshots will not work because the SQL dbs would not be in a consistent state. 
For filesystem backups, you would need a script to stop SQL, take snapshot, start SQL before backup can be taken.

As per extract from the manual, using MS-SQL policy with Snapshot Client option will use SQL Server VDI (virtual device interface) quiescence to affect a momentary freeze on database activity.

Snapshot backups with alternate client (ideally a media server) has the advantage that all processing is offloaded onto secondary storage and another server. 
SQL on the source client is completely unaffected and backups are fast because the media server will read data directly off SAN-attached snapshot volume.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

From this thread

NetBackup for MS SQL Server does not create any snapshot except when the backup is configured to use Snapshot Client feature. In normal SQL backup, NetBackup just initiates SQL backup operation through SQL's API and revieve backup streams through SQL's Virtual Device Interface.

and from About NetBackup Snapshot Client for SQL Server:

Snapshot Client, when used with NetBackup for SQL Server, backs up and restores SQL Server objects with snapshots of the component files. Then it backs up the snapshot version to tape or commits it to another form of persistent storage. The snapshot technology uses SQL Server VDI (virtual device interface) quiescence to affect a momentary freeze on database activity. Then NetBackup takes a snapshot of the identified files.

To use NetBackup Snapshot Client with NetBackup for SQL Server, you must have a license key for both Snapshot Client and Microsoft SQL Server.

boblatchford
Level 2

Thanks for the reply- unfortunately I'm none the wiser.

I saw the comment below in the documentation:

To use NetBackup Snapshot Client with NetBackup for SQL Server, you must have a license key for both Snapshot Client and Microsoft SQL Server. 

Thought it was a  bit curious as Symantec appear to be making a licensing statement about a Microsoft product. I wondered if it was a typo - did they mean to write NetBackup for SQL Server rather than Microsoft SQL Server?

Anyway my question still stands- do you need a license key for both NetBackup Snapshot Client and NetBackup for SQL Server if you're using only the snapshot features?

Re the use of snapshot versus standard backup - I think I know roughly what they do and how they do it. My question is more around their strategic use - can someone give me scenario where the snapshot client would be a more suitable choice?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Type error in the manual...

Yes, you would need both NetBackup Snapshot Client and NetBackup for SQL Server because the policy type is still MS-SQL.

Filesystem/volume snapshots will not work because the SQL dbs would not be in a consistent state. 
For filesystem backups, you would need a script to stop SQL, take snapshot, start SQL before backup can be taken.

As per extract from the manual, using MS-SQL policy with Snapshot Client option will use SQL Server VDI (virtual device interface) quiescence to affect a momentary freeze on database activity.

Snapshot backups with alternate client (ideally a media server) has the advantage that all processing is offloaded onto secondary storage and another server. 
SQL on the source client is completely unaffected and backups are fast because the media server will read data directly off SAN-attached snapshot volume.