cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup for VMware

Acclivis_NBU
Level 3

Hi, 

we have 1 master server and 1 media server installed NBU 7.6 (OS are Redhat 6.6 both)

Since we just had 2 new blade server installed ESXi 6 so we want to use netbackup VMware policy to backup the VM in these 2 hosts. (1 vcenter installed for this 2 esxi blade servers).

As i check on the NBU 7.6 for VMware admin guide, media server can be configured as backup host so I decided to stick to this option.

My question is do I need to install netbackup client sofware on the media server ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

To backup the client and restore individual files you can use VMware policy type. It takes image level backup and give individual file restore.

To restore files directly to the client (which is what you'd want to do in most cases) you need the client software installed on the guest.

To restore the entire VM you do not require the client software as it talks directly to the ESX/vCenter.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

As it is a media server, it should already have the client software installed, at least for the OS type of the server itself.

For NBU VM backups, the images are backed up from the backup host, so no extra client software is required.

RiaanBadenhorst

You need to be running 7.6.1.1 for Vmware 6.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

FYI - Also be aware of an issue with snapshots with ESXi v6.0, which can impact backups, restores, manual snapshots, and thus availability:
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search...
Users of ESXi 6.0 really should patch to 6.0.0a

However, what isn't clear is whether v6.0.0a is supported for use with NetBackup.

Acclivis_NBU
Level 3

Thanks All !

I just checked the admin guide NBU for VMware and found out that NBU cannot backup individual file of VM (I hve 6 redhat vm reside in 2 esx hosts)

So to backup individual file I need to install netbackup agent on the VMs. My concern is whether any additional license needed  for these 6 VM ?  

RiaanBadenhorst

RHEL 6 is supported for backing up individual files via VMWare policy (since 7.5)

If you're licensed to backup the VMware via VMWARE policy you're licensed to back it up via STANDARD (in guest ) policy too. No issues.

Acclivis_NBU
Level 3

Hi Riaan, 

This is what I read from netbackup 7.6 admin guide for vmware. This means I need to install client on VM to restore individual file ? (1 stage process)

"You can use either of the following procedures to restore files individually.

One-stage process

Restore individual files to the virtual machine by restoring to the
recovery host. The virtual machine drives that are the destination for
the restore must be configured in one of the following ways:
■ Windows only: The virtual machine drives must be shared through
the guest operating system on the virtual machine.
See “Setting up NetBackup Client Service for restore to a
Windows shared virtual machine drive” on page 159.
■ NetBackup client software must be installed on the VMware virtual
machine.

Two-stage process

Restore individual files from the VMware recovery host to a
NetBackup client (not to the virtual machine). See the NetBackup
Backup, Archive, and Restore Getting Started Guide on how to
restore to different locations.
Then manually copy the restored files to the virtual machine.
(NetBackup does not perform this step.)"

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

To backup the client and restore individual files you can use VMware policy type. It takes image level backup and give individual file restore.

To restore files directly to the client (which is what you'd want to do in most cases) you need the client software installed on the guest.

To restore the entire VM you do not require the client software as it talks directly to the ESX/vCenter.