cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup - how to move images from a degraded media

memphisgr
Level 1

Greetings to the community,

I would appreciate your help with the following case.

Solaris 10, Netbackup 7.0, Oracle SL150 library.

Library is reporting the health of a tape as degraded and according to the documentation it has to be replaced.

The tape contains valid backup images (capacity is at 600G) and I am trying to establish a way to transfer all the data from the degraded tape to a good tape.

Both magazines are full and all tapes are assigned to pools. In these pools, there are empty tapes that could be deassigned from their pools. Mailslot of SL150 is empty.

I have been through the documentation but I can't seem to find something that fits the case.

What would be the proper way to keep the data safe?

Is there a way to duplicate all the data of the degraded in a new one and let Netbackup know that the new should be used from now on?

Thank you in advance for help.

1 REPLY 1

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

This might help :

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Copying-data-from-one-tape-to-other-tape/td-p/649264

In principle your steps will be:

1) freeze the degraded media

2) identify the backup images (complete/partially) on degraded media

3) identify retention levels of those images on that media

4) identify copy numbers for those images on that media

5) if all images have same retention, and same copy number then continue below, BUT if they have different retentions and/or different copy numbers then you may need to hire an expert because you can make a mistake if you do not know what you are doing

6) duplicate the images

7) double check that all required images now have duplicate copies of the required retention

8) unfreeze the original degraded media

9) expire the old copy numbers of the duplicated images

10) move the degraded media to a "BAD" pool

11) eject / replace the degraded media with a new tape

12) destroy the old media