cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup intefering with SQL Server Backups? Best practice?

A_J_A
Level 3

We are currently using NetBackup to take VMware "vmdk" backups on a nightly basis. On our SQL Server machines, we need the ability to do 
point-in-time restores, so we need better than nightly backups. We are using the native SQL Server backup functionality to do full backups nightly, and transaction log backups lets say every 5 minutes. When the NetBackup VMware backup kicks off, it appears that the SQL Servers files are quiesced as there are entries made in the SQL Server backup history. These entries are there even though I do NOT have "Enable SQL Server Recovery". Why am I seeing entries for that?

What are the best practices for backing up SQL Server databases in conjunction with NetBackup VMware backups? If I have to restore from a NetBackup backup, how do I ensure SQL Server is not broken in an incosistent state? If I see the backup entries in the SQL backup history, does that mean that SQL Server will be up and running when the recovery to that point is complete? Or will I be forced to do a manual restore of every database from my native SQL backups? I'll have more questions to follow as this discussion goes on. I'm sure there are a few people out there that are interested in this topic.

Attached is a screenshot showing when the native SQL Server backup kicked off, and when a Netbackup vmware backup kicked off.

1 REPLY 1

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No replies from anyone...

Hopefully there are members here using SQL native backups on VMs who could share their experience?