cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup licensing

hari1605
Level 3

Hi,

I want to set up a new backup environment with 1 Master/Media server, 2 tape drives to backup  1 MS exchange server, 1 filer and 4-5 standard client servers. The data to be backed up is very less.

Can somebody please suggest what kind of license should i procure. Should it be Enterprise license or Standard. If i go with enterprise licensing will i have to get separate licence for backing up MS exchange server and filer( NDMP). Also what features are included by default in enterprise licence.

Can someone please share your thoughts on what license should i go with.

Regards,

Hari.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hope this helps

I want to set up a new backup environment with 1 Master/Media server, 2 tape drives to backup  1 MS exchange server, 1 filer and 4-5 standard client servers. The data to be backed up is very less.

Presuming 2 Tier NBU Architecture (Master server itself would act as Media server and has   2 drives connected)

1 Standard server

2 Tape drive License

1 NDMP license

App/DB pack for exchange would be required  per Server (if in case you have Exchange 2010 DAG consisting of 2 Mailbox server) hence you would require 2 APP/DB pack  + 2 Standard client license for exchange

so Total comes

1 Standard  Server (Master)

2 Tape Drive

1 NDMP

2 App/DB (if 2 Mailbox server is there)

7 (5+2) Stadard clients

PS: Per App/DB you need to procure STD/ENT client license

ENT client is useful for SAN based backup

STD is for only LAN based backups

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

If its 2-tier based NBU architecture (i.e) One NBU Server & Clients, you can opt for NetBackup Server that supports

• One Backup Server
  • Unlimited No:of Clients
  • NDMP-NAS system
  • Tape Drivers & Libraries

For Application or DB backup (E.g. Exchange, SQL, Informix, Sybase..etc), you should procure additional license for "NetBackup Application and Database pack". This is licensed per system and as per licensing guidelines you cannot protect multiple application or Database intances of same system with one NetBackup Application and Database pack.

For detailed insight about the licensing and its price, please get in touch with your reseller.

hari1605
Level 3

Rizwan, Thanks for your response.

Can you please tell on what basis do i need to procure license for backing up exchange servers. It it based on number of exchange servers that needs to be backed up or some other criteria or can we have a single MS extension license to backup 4-5 exchange servers.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hope this helps

Presuming 2 Tier NBU Architecture (Master server itself would act as Media server and has   2 drives connected)

1 Standard server

2 Tape drive License

1 NDMP license

App/DB pack for exchange would be required  per Server (if in case you have Exchange 2010 DAG consisting of 2 Mailbox server) hence you would require 2 APP/DB pack  + 2 Standard client license for exchange

so Total comes

1 Standard  Server (Master)

2 Tape Drive

1 NDMP

2 App/DB (if 2 Mailbox server is there)

7 (5+2) Stadard clients

PS: Per App/DB you need to procure STD/ENT client license

ENT client is useful for SAN based backup

STD is for only LAN based backups

hari1605
Level 3

Thank  you this ifnromation.