cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup licensing

sathish_perumal
Level 3

Firstly, i couldnt reach my reseller due to some issues.so i am on my own to proceed further.We have 1 master and 6 media servers ALL WINDOWS SERVERS.I need to install a new media server and clients, so  need few clarification regarding current licenses. We have traditional model.Please help me with below queriries.

"NETBACKUP ENT SERVER WLS 1 SERVER HARDWARE TIER 2 ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE quantitiy-7"- I believe this is number of ENT/Media server i can install in a domain.

1.What does "TIER 2" means?? i have media servers which have more than 8CPU!!

2.Will i be able to install new media server with current licenses?

"NETBACKUP STD CLIENT XPLAT 1 SERVER ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE-quantity-5"

1.This is how total no of physical windows/AIX client i can configure right? will i be  able to add more than 5 clients?

"NETBACKUP ENT CLIENT WLS 1 SERVER HARDWARE TIER 2 ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE Quantity -10"

1.For VMWare config, i can config 10 ESX host in backup- please confirm!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It would be much more helpful if you would provide how many of licensed hosts and devices you have in total and of what kind.

First of all, yes you will be able to install NBU Enterprise Servers even if you are not compliant with Tier on the license (although I seriously doubt you have more than 8 CPU sockets on a Windows machine but who knows) and deploy more than 10 ESXi hosts using Enterprise Client and more than 5 Standard Clients although exceeding numbers and/or tiers would make your setup non-complant from the licensing standpoint.

Now I would be more worried that you don't seem to have listed any licenses for backup storage, if the licenses you mentioned is all you have, you may not be able to use anything but a simple basic disk storage which comes for free. Same goes for App/DB agents.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Mouse

It would be much more helpful if you would provide how many of licensed hosts and devices you have in total and of what kind.

First of all, yes you will be able to install NBU Enterprise Servers even if you are not compliant with Tier on the license (although I seriously doubt you have more than 8 CPU sockets on a Windows machine but who knows) and deploy more than 10 ESXi hosts using Enterprise Client and more than 5 Standard Clients although exceeding numbers and/or tiers would make your setup non-complant from the licensing standpoint.

Now I would be more worried that you don't seem to have listed any licenses for backup storage, if the licenses you mentioned is all you have, you may not be able to use anything but a simple basic disk storage which comes for free. Same goes for App/DB agents.

Marianne

@sathish_perumal 

Bear in mind that you need to count the number of physical cpu/sockets, not cores.

Herewith tier table: 

WLS: Windows, Linux, Solaris x86       UNIX (AIX, HP-UX, Solaris Sparc) 

Tier.JPG

@Mouse : Yes i have not listed all.. listed the ones i have query.. SO even if dont have enough licenses, i should be able to install new media server & configure more ESXi host!!! thanks!

I have NBU Dedup data protection optimisation license & more..

@Marianne Thank you soo much for Tier info that helps...