cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup linux include_list

Lbellefeuille
Level 4

Hi everyone,  i am trying to use the include/exclude list feature on some Linux RHEL 7 clients.

The situation is this.  I have a backup job with multiple clients inside and the backup selection for all of them is "ALL_LOCAL_DRIVE".  For the clients i want to backup only some folder but not necesseraly the same for each of them.  

So i have created the exclude_list file with only one line wich is "/" and the include_list file with some folders path like (/etc,/var...) each on one line and i placed them on the /usr/openv/netbackup" folder on each client (one file per client).  The result is nothing is taken and i don't know where else to look.... Any help please 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
It is a LOT easier to create 10 policies on the master server for each client with Backup Selection of what needs to be backed up rather than one policy on master with 10 exclude_lists and 10 include_lists spread across 10 clients.

Spare yourself all this headache...

View solution in original post

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Because the exclude and include lists are stored on the client itself, you loose visibility of what it is you are specifically backing-up - and because you'll be skipping certain areas, then you won't have a backup of your custom config anyway, because you won't be backing up the exclude and include lists.

Plus, if someone re-installs the client, then you've lost your lists.

A policy is effectively an overlapping "set of sets" (i.e. set of schedules, a set of clients, a set of selections)... so, put common areas in policies.  Your future backup administration tasks will be much easier if you control the selection via policies.

Plus the "effective config" is then visible in the management GUI and not hidden away in lists on clients.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You are doing it wrong, what you backup should be done using policies in Netbackup and not exclude_list include_list on the clients. 

Use exclude_list to exclude data you do not want to backup (e.g /data/)

use include_list to include paths located in a directory previous excluded (e.g /data/somedir/very_important_data)

Hi Nicolai,

Thanks for your response.  i am not sure i understand.  

I have one policy with 10 linux client.  For each of the 10 client i want to backup the same 3 folders ;

/etc

/srv

/var/spool/cron

and than i want to backup different folders ex:

for Server 1 i want to add /var/log/httpd

for Server 2 i want to add /export/home

etc...

So i should only create the include list per server and not the exclude list ? if so, what should i put in the backup select  policy (only the 3 common folders) ?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
It is a LOT easier to create 10 policies on the master server for each client with Backup Selection of what needs to be backed up rather than one policy on master with 10 exclude_lists and 10 include_lists spread across 10 clients.

Spare yourself all this headache...

Hi Mariane,

I know your right but i was looking for a way to regroup some servers (around 300 in total), so having to manage 20-30 policies in the end was more appealing to me than having to manage hundreds... 

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Because the exclude and include lists are stored on the client itself, you loose visibility of what it is you are specifically backing-up - and because you'll be skipping certain areas, then you won't have a backup of your custom config anyway, because you won't be backing up the exclude and include lists.

Plus, if someone re-installs the client, then you've lost your lists.

A policy is effectively an overlapping "set of sets" (i.e. set of schedules, a set of clients, a set of selections)... so, put common areas in policies.  Your future backup administration tasks will be much easier if you control the selection via policies.

Plus the "effective config" is then visible in the management GUI and not hidden away in lists on clients.