Did you mean: 

Netbackup live update failed with 77

amit30
Level 4
Certified

Netbackup live upgarde fail with EC 77.

Upgrade from 7.6.2 to 7.7.3 

OS-windows

Error nbliveup (pid=6124) Error executing "C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\LiveUpdate\LUALL.EXE" -s -h "D:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\LiveUpdateHost.hst", stopping update.

execution of the specified system command returned a nonzero status  (77)

Thanks & Regards,

Amit 

5 REPLIES 5

Douglas_A
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

i have seen this to many times with LU, there is no silver bullet since the error is very very generic for the update. 

usually its one of 2 things in my experience, first the source version of NBU being a 7.6.x wouldnt support the update normally to a 7.7.x i know it works in most instances but support has been wishy washy for this for many years, typically we would only do an update from 7.6.1 to 7.6.2 for example, if a full version was needed we would install the base via some kinf od patch solution SCCM for example then use LU to patch over it. 

Other times i have seen this when there is a permission problem with the LU system getting the files it needs to update. When this happens usually you can find in the log it saying unable to access or something along those lines. 

Lastly i had a customer who installed a "custom" version of the NBU client which worked appropriatly but was missing some key Reg entires and we had to reinstall the client then run the update. 

I dont know if any of this is helpful but maybe it will offer you a place to start looking.

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hi 

did you see that in live upgrade guide:

Note: After you run a LiveUpdate policy on Windows systems to upgrade to
NetBackup 7.7, the activity monitor may report an exit status 77 error. This
error code may indicate that the installation that the LiveUpdate policy executed
was unsuccessful. If this error code appears, examine the installation log file
on the remote system where the installation error occurred. The log file is
located at % ALLUSERSPROFILE% \Symantec\NetBackup\InstallLogs. Search
the log for any strings that include Return Value 3 or for any log messages
that appear in yellow or red text. You can also verify that the upgrade was
successful from the NetBackup Administration Console by checking the
Host Properties on the server that reported the error.

GeForce123
Level 5

I've also seen the status 77 thrown if there are dependencies that are not allowing packages to uninstall. In my case, Ruby for Puppet has a dependency with SYMCpddea when upgrading from 7.7.1 to 7.7.3 and you can't upgrade because of that. You either have to uninstall Ruby or uninstall SYMCpddea before the upgrade.

X2
   VIP   

This does not answer original question, but I thought it is best to document the issue @GeForce123 mentioned.

@GeForce123I noticed the issue last year too. It was due to the fact that ruby-libs required libreadline.so which was provided by SYMCpddea-7.0.0. So installing compat-readline (version depeding on your RHEL/CentOS) allowed SYMCpddea to be uninstalled and upgraded nicely.

Below is the log entry which helped me:

D:  Requires: libz.so.1()(64bit)                            YES (cached)
error: Failed dependencies:
	libreadline.so.5()(64bit) is needed by (installed) ruby-libs-1.8.7.374-4.el6_6.x86_64
D: ========== recording tsort relations
D: ========== tsorting packages (order, #predecessors, #succesors, tree, depth)
D:     0    0    0    0    1   -SYMCpddea-7.0.0.0-0.x86_64

@X2

Yea we ended up just uninstalling SYMCpddea using a simple rpm command. Originally we had our linux team uninstalling Ruby but that was a huge hassle.