Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup lustre filesystem support

evo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi

We have linux server farm that use lustre filesystem. I think netbackup does not support lustre filesystem but how can we backup lustre filesystem with netbackup 7.7?

Regards.

11 REPLIES 11

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Backup the files via NFS?

See tech note entitled "Best Practices for Configuring Andvanced Disk"

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000081696

...which touches on performing backups of Lustre file-systems.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I am pretty sure lustre file system isn't supported, but does it work ?

Netbackup uses standard API thou the unix kernel, so it should in theory work.

A unsupported configuration is if cause your own problem, no help to get from Veritas

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Not really, it just mention lustre as a shared file system as I read the document

sdo

Yeah - my bad - sorry - ignore my post above - that TN does not cover backing up a Lustre file system.

Anyway - what the NetBackup 7.7 SCL:

File System Compatibility

...says is:

"NetBackup supports backing up file data on all POSIX compliant file systems. The table below represents the platform configurations that have been tested for compatibility with ACLs and other extended attributes. Unless otherwise noted in the table below, ACLs and other extended attributes are not supported."

The question then is...   Is the Lustre file system a "Posix compliant" file system?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

According to the Wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lustre_(file_system)

Yep, it's Posix ...

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Evo - you need to test it and let us know the result

evo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I also think that it will work, but main problem is that "is it supported?".

To be %100 percent sure, I opened a case to veritas regarding this issue and they said that "luster filesystem is not listed in the compability matrix so it is not supported."

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

....  main problem is that "is it supported?"

The answer is actually YES!

Show the Veritas Support person the following line in OS SCL:

NetBackup supports backing up file data on all POSIX compliant file systems.

sdo

I agree with Marianne.  The support statement in the SCL is unambiguous.  And Lustre is Posix compliant, and not noted as excluded from support within the SCL.  Therefore you are entitled to support if you have a valid NetBackup support license/contract with Veritas.

sdo

@evo - you need to take Nicolai's advice and test it.  Some 'extended features' over and above and outside of 'Posix compliance' may be stripped off by backups - e.g. ACLs and ACE entries may be stripped off by the Posix APIs before the data (folders and files) reaches the NetBackup Client, and therefore may not be present at the time of restore.  Also, consider whether your dataset may be using some form of 'sparse file' feature - again the Posix APIs may behave in an unexpected (to you) manner.  Look at the features of Lustre, determine which of these features you will be using in production, and test backup and restore.  Good luck.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Actual very good point about whats covering POSIX or not.

From my experience, you will loose a "what covered/supported or not in the SCL" unless you are a very big company or stubborn. Especially since there is workaround - do not fix mentality at Veritas Support.