cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup media servers going offline very frequently

bharath_achar2
Level 3

Master & Media servers are all on Windows server 2008 and running on 7.6 NBU server software.

when looked through nbemm logs using VXlogview, I could see master is failing to recive heartbeat from media servers and going offline then we need to reboot the media servers and bring back the connection.

5/29/2017 11:11:35.638 [DA_Thread_Pool::CheckForHeartbeat] Found machine < Media_Server > not sending heartbeat
5/29/2017 11:11:35.638 [Error] V-144-1049 EMMServer generic error = Machine < Media_Server > not sending heartbeat, changing to OFFLINE

Please assist me.

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I remember seeing a TN regarding this (no time now to Google for it...).

The TN describes how to change the EMM hearbeat timeout as a workaround.
The real solution is to troubleshoot and fix network issues.

Veritas Support have tools to assist with network troubleshooting but your version of NBU ran out of support a couple of months ago.

Tousif
Level 6

Hello,

Its communication issue. Need to check network communication between Master and Media.

Kindly run the below command from media server after server state show offline.

#nbemmcmd -listhosts

This command should give you complete list of media servers configured in environment.

Regards,

Deeps
Level 6

Chekc this .

Media servers bounce between "Active for Disk" and "Active for Disk and Tape."
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000038655

DeepS

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

if it's a communication issue, run a ping test from master to media  and from media to master over night.

# ping {server name} -l 8192 -t

If more than 100 packages is lost during the night, it indicate network issues.

Thanks Nicoli,

I'll have ping test run tonight and check the network flips.

Regards,

Bharath

Thanks Deeps, 

I have already checked this.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

A bit of a stab in the dark, but the symptoms seem familiar... Is there an internal network hardware firewall between the master and media servers, if so, then ask your firewall/network admin to check to make sure that "SYN check" processing is not enabled.

Hi sdo,

I'll check with network, also opening a case with VERITAS.

You might have an issue opening a ticket with Veritas because your 7.6 version lost support February 1st of this year. Keep us updated.