cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup media servers suggestible Physical or VM’s in integrated cloud environment

Desh
Level 3

Persent in our netbackup enviroment 2 masters and 4 physical mieda servers with EMC Datadomains,HP vls and MSL tape libraries configured backups.

If we were to replace the current tape backup/dd infra with a backup to cloud appliance like an alta vault etc ..

My quirey is : Which is suggestable servers Physical or VM's  for netbackup master and mediaservers 

Can i move all existing environment physical serves to vm's ( 2 Master and 4Media servers) please suggest on this.

​​

10 REPLIES 10

manatee
Level 6

IMHO, it is not recommended to implement the master and media servers in VM due to performance issues.

keep it physical.

Slim_786
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

I personally like segregating my customers backup environment from the productuion environment as it just simplifies things in case of a disaster. 

With that being said, there is no issue with virtualising the Master Server and it is supported, just make sure that the Catalog backup and DR file is backed up to a location that is off your prod environment. Its real quick to spin up a VM today with the OS, install the same version of NBU and restore the catalog from disk.

With regards to your Media Servers, if you completely moving away from Tape than virtualising the Media Servers shouldnt be a problem as well specifically if you going to be backing up directly to an Alta Vault.

Please have a look at the NBU requirments for your Master and Media Servers and just make sure that your Virtual Environment has more than sufficient resources available.

Regards,

i haven't come across any documents that says VM implementations of master/media servers are supported. care to provide your source. t hanks.

It's in the PDF support for 7.7.x and 8.x in virtual environments as I am sure there are more NetBackup PDF's this is stated in.

https://www.veritas.com/bin/support/docRepoServlet?bookId=NB_70_80_VE&requestType=pdf

Page 6.

Thanks to all..

As per the NetBackup 7.7.x and 8.x in virtual environments admin guide. .

No issue to configure Netbackup Master server software on VM's, But in media server having some limitations.

Media Server are High I/O intensive and can easily put on its knees any physical box with a lot of RAM and CPU, we would need to measure environment well and if clients don’t demand much I/O then we would prefer virtual, but as I/O grows we would need to take the media servers out of the ESX because backups will start to impact production not only because they share the SAN and LAN but the RAM and CPU.

Hence, my recommendation is we would need to configure heterogeneous environment in future solution so that clients with less I/O to be used Virtual Media servers and for large I/O to use physical media servers.

Please suggest and it's currect and also In need to caliculated present physical enviromnet backup perfamance accordinlgy I will compare after VM’s in integrated cloud environment.

Sorry...tempo errors

Please check above comment and suggest on my recommendation.

And also need to calculate each media server backup performance, now all physical.

I will compare after VM’s in integrated cloud environment.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Just my 2c:

As long as you have unexpired images on tape, you need to keep physical media server(s).

Please consider NetBackup CloudCatalyst Appliance before making a decision about NetApp Altavault. 

https://www.veritas.com/product/backup-and-recovery/netbackup/cloud-data-protection

https://www.veritas.com/content/dam/Veritas/docs/briefs/V0293_GA_ENT_SB-Unified-Data-Protection-For-...

Thanks for info But i need below info before integrated cloud. If we replace the EMC DataDomain and the tape libraries with a cloud storage gateway like an aws or netapp altavault, azure so that the netbackup target would be a share/iscsi target instead of the Datdomain/vls/tape library then what steps would we need to take

@Desh wrote:

Thanks to all..

As per the NetBackup 7.7.x and 8.x in virtual environments admin guide. .

No issue to configure Netbackup Master server software on VM's, But in media server having some limitations.

Hence, my recommendation is we would need to configure heterogeneous environment in future solution so that clients with less I/O to be used Virtual Media servers and for large I/O to use physical media servers.

i'm thinking in this direction. since the master server is only there for directing traffic (like a policeman), i might as well place it on VM and dedicate my physical server for the media server.

that's gonna be my next project :)

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Desh wrote:
Thanks for info But i need below info before integrated cloud. If we replace the EMC DataDomain and the tape libraries with a cloud storage gateway like an aws or netapp altavault, azure so that the netbackup target would be a share/iscsi target instead of the Datdomain/vls/tape library then what steps would we need to take

As per my previous post - you will really need to keep the DD and tape around until ALL backups have expired or migrated to your new cloud storage.

With migrate I mean duplicate, then expire. 
There is nothing in NBU to automate this process. You can list and output images to a text file, and then script bpduplicate with -bidfile to use the output file as input.
bpduplicate also has the option to expire after successful duplication.

And once again - PLEASE consider NetBackup Cloud Catalyst before you make a decision about AltaVault.
Speak to your Veritas reseller about price and compare the cost.
Also ask them about tests done w.r.t. to performance comparison.
I don't know if there is public documentation as yet, but we were told in a recent product update that NBU Cloud Catalyst is MUCH cheaper (I won't write here how much cheaper) and 2 - 3 times faster.

HTH