cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup migration/upgrade

APinoSr
Level 2

What is the necessary requirements to allow a client to be accessed by both (old & new) NB servers?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I agree with all of the excellent advice above. The old server should only be used for restores. Deactivate or delete all backup policies. Keep Server entries for old master on clients. This will allow Server intiated restores from old master. If any client-initiated restores are needed (including database), the 1st Server entry will need to be changed to the old master for the duration of the restore. A client can have only one Master and is indicated by the 1st Server entry.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RiaanBadenhorst

What do you mean by old and new? Different domains (different masters)?

If so, a client can only be in one domain at a time, so you can move it between domains temporarily (to maybe restore something), but you'd not want to do that on a regular basis.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

You wouldn't want to be doing any kind of incremental (differential or cummulative) backups to two different NetBackup domains.

Personally, I think the most significant problem with having plain file-system basd "full" backups to two different NetBackup domains would be scheduling overlap... the very real possibility of two full backups occuring at the same time... which might make the OS throw a wobbly... and I would have thought that a Windows based backup client would feel more pain than a Unix/Linux client.  Knowing what I know about Windows, I can't see it reacting very well to two overlapping backups.  And if you use any kind of file system "change journal tracking" then... who knows, it's anyone's gues as to what might happen with files being skipped because they've already been marked as being captured.   Hmmm.   I wouldn't do it.  I've never done this.  And I've never seen a site that does.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

To answer your question, the requirement is nothign more than "server" name entries for both masters and/or any medias (from eitehr environment) in the "server" list of the client.  The first server entry will always be the true master of the client.

i.e. if multiple master server names appear in the server list of the client, then both masters can manage the client.  If you have seperate media servers in each NetBackup domain, then the names of any media server which will also be doing the actual backup will also need to be in the of "server" names on the actual client.

Marianne
I agree with all of the excellent advice above. The old server should only be used for restores. Deactivate or delete all backup policies. Keep Server entries for old master on clients. This will allow Server intiated restores from old master. If any client-initiated restores are needed (including database), the 1st Server entry will need to be changed to the old master for the duration of the restore. A client can have only one Master and is indicated by the 1st Server entry.