cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup not backing up ZFS mounts -- Enabled NFS and Cross Mounts

npolite
Level 5

Hello,

I have a database server in which I need to backup a ZFS mount. I have enabled follow NFS and Cross Mount points and still the directory is not being backed up. I also specified in my include list the path that I want to backup under the ZFS mount. Is there something else I need to enable?

Thanks,
Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you had a look at NetBackup Admin Guide I w.r.t. 'Follow NFS' policy attribute?

The manual recommends that you create a separate policy for NFS mounts only.

So, best to have a policy with 'Follow NFS' and where Backup Selection only contains one or more mount points for NFS file systems.

Create another policy for local mount points.

Extract from Admin Guide I:

NFS backups have lower performance and sometimes encounter problems.
If Follow NFS is selected, you may want to use the policy only for the files and clients that are backed up or archived over NFS.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Will_Restore
Level 6

Check bpbkar log on the client for clues. Maybe the filesystem is being excluded.

Also, what kind of media server?  MSDP does not support ZFS. 

Marianne

What does 'df -h' and '/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpmount' show on the client with ZFS mount?

If mount points show in above command outputs as local mount points, there should be no need to select Follow NFS and/or Cross Mount points in policy attributes.

Simply specify the mount points in Backup Selection or select 'ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES' directive in Backup Selection.

You don't need include_list unless path is excluded by exclude_list.

npolite
Level 5

Hi Marianne,

Sorry I should have been more specific...the ZFS mount is actually from an Oracle Appliance so it is an NFS mount. This won't show up as a local disk and isn't displaying in /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpmount

Here is what I see in the job

4/17/2016 3:54:48 AM - Info bpbrm(pid=17848) from client hldb01 TRV - [/b01] is in a different file system from [/]. Skipping

Here is also a screenshot of my policy.

Untitled.png

Nick

Marianne
What is in Backup Selection? 'Skipping /xyz' when backing up / is perfectly normal. '/xyz' will be backed when it is /xyz's turn. You may want to select Allow multiple data streams to create a separate stream for each item in Backup Selection. Also create bpbkar log folder (as suggested above) with logging level of 1 to trace files/folders being backed up.

Efi_G
Level 4

If you have all local mount try / instead

what are the permissions on the folder you are trying to back up?

Marianne
Please tell what is in Backup Selection. 'Cross mount points' should be used with greatest of care to avoid filesystems being backed up more than once.

Marianne

Have you had a look at NetBackup Admin Guide I w.r.t. 'Follow NFS' policy attribute?

The manual recommends that you create a separate policy for NFS mounts only.

So, best to have a policy with 'Follow NFS' and where Backup Selection only contains one or more mount points for NFS file systems.

Create another policy for local mount points.

Extract from Admin Guide I:

NFS backups have lower performance and sometimes encounter problems.
If Follow NFS is selected, you may want to use the policy only for the files and clients that are backed up or archived over NFS.

npolite
Level 5

The backup section of the policy has ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES. I will enable additional debug as mentioned to see what the logs on the client are saying.

Edit: I don't see a bpbkar directory under /usr/openv/logs -- do I just need to create this on the client? Also what else do I need to enable?

Nick

Marianne

PLEASE do NOT select ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES with 'Cross mount points'.

You are going to duplicating backups for each mount point!

NFS mounts will not be included in ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive because they are not LOCAL.

Add each NFS mount on a separate line in this policy or (preferably) in a new policy with only NFS mounts in Backup Selection and 'Follow NFS' selected in Attributes.

bpbkar is a legacy log and the folder needs to be created under /usr/openv/netbackup/logs.

npolite
Level 5

OK so I specified a new Policy for just the ZFS and specified the /b01 mount which is what I need backed up. We'll see what happens after the backup tonight.

Nick

Marianne

With 'Follow NFS' in policy Attributes hopefully?

npolite
Level 5

Thanks Marianne for the information. Creating a new policy and specifying the ZFS mount (with the addition of adding the NFS option), enabled a succesful backup.

Nick