cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup not working with DFS service

NetbackupUser78
Level 3

When the DFS service is running on my 2008 Windows server the backups have problems.  The job status is succefull but most of the data requested in the policy is not backed up.  If I turn off the DFS service the backups run as they should.  Is there a better solution then turning off DFS service, are there some policy settings that will allow the backups with DFS service running? 

12 REPLIES 12

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

DFS is backed up as part of Shadow Copy Components when DFS service is running.

See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH148740 as well as 'Related Articles'.

NetbackupUser78
Level 3

I'm not trying to backup the replicated data, I just want to backup my selection list which is most of the Data Drive, but when DFS is running the data is not backed up.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Is that Data Drive "really" part of the DFS?

If so you need to back it up via the Shadow Copy Components and not via the drive letter

Marianne
Level 6

It seems that it is your data drive that is being replicated. That is why backup is working fine with service stopped (as per the TN).

NetbackupUser78
Level 3

The data drive is being replicated to a different server.  I'm currently backing up using drive letter.  Mark, if I backup shadow copy components it will backup up the data drive, instead of using Drive letters, is this the case since it's being replicated?  How will restores work, same as before when I use the drive letters?

Marianne
Level 6

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Please see the post Marianne has given you .. restores are done the same as the backups - by browsing the Shadow Copy components

NetbackupUser78
Level 3

We do weekly fulls monthly full and daily diffs, if I use shadow copy can I still do full backups as before?  When I think of shadow copies I thinking incremental backups.  Will a full shadow copy backup be the same size as a full flat or drive letter backup?

NetbackupUser78
Level 3

We have tons of different locations and we try to get everyone doing things the same why.  What do you guys think is the benefit of backing up shadow copy vs turning off DFS service and backing up drive letters.  Will DFS work better since it's not stoping and starting every day.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

In general any Shadow Copy backup will run as a full, even if your schedule is an incremental.

Benefits both ways really .. if you back up DFS then it is like a hot datbase backup so you have no downtime but does give its complications in relation to the size of data backed up etc. and backing it up via Shadow Copy ... if you shut down DFS and backup via the drive letter then incrementals will work fine but you have disrupted the DFS; fine if all completes happily out of working hours but not i guess if the backup runs into working hours

It is all down to your environment and your choice of which way you want to do it and what works best in your environment

Hope this helps

coffee_drinker
Level 4

Dear Marianne,

I have problems with DFS as well; however, I do not replicate files between remote sites duriing work hours and I want to backup DFS server at that time.

How do I stop DFS services from netbackup 6.5.6 to just grab flat files from the DFS server D: (Data) drive?

Replication between remote offices runs from 7PM to 7AM

I want to run backup job on my DFS server from 10AM.

How to disbale/stop dfs services on DFS server using netbackup policy?

Again, all your help is highly appreciated,

Thank you, Mark

Bmitche
Level 5

The way we handle our DFS replicated servers is..... we stop the dfs replication service via the "bpstart_notify.bat" and "bpend_notify.bat" files. Net stop dfsr & Net start dfsr. We started backing them up via the "Shadow Copy Components" but we did not want to backup the data being replicated "to" this server.

Using "Shadow Copy Components" you cannot exclude folders from the backup.

Most of our DFS replication servers are to and from servers....since the from data was already being backed up at the source location it did not need to be backed up again on the target.

When the backup starts it runs bpstart_notify.bat and stops the dfs replication services. We backup the drive letter that contains the data we want and use exclude to not backup the folders we don't want.

We have the dfs replication service set to restart the service after 30 minutes on the service recovery tab.....as long as the backup has already started it does not matter if the service starts while the backup is already running. Hope this all makes since....if not.....ask for more clarification.