cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup only use 10 drives out of the 12?

JinKazama05
Level 2

Not sure if this is a netbackup issue or the Library issue, but i for some reason i am only able to use 10 drives out of the 12.  

All 12 drives works, but only 10 at time.

Please help.

9 REPLIES 9

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

So all 12 work, but only 10 at a time. This rules out a drive issue or an allocation hanging around in the database. Has this always happened, or was there a time when all 12 worked?

Have you checked how many maximum concurrent write drives you have specified in the storage unit??? It should be 12.

Are you firing enough jobs to use all the drives?

Also are all of the drives configured with the same density, so if your storage unit is (for example), hcart2, are ALL the drives hcart2 too?

JinKazama05
Level 2

Hi Revaroo,

Yes you are correct, netbackup see all 12 drives but only using 10 at a time.  

Yes ive changed the max concurrent write and did not do anything, in terms of jobs there are plenty and of course many sitting in the que.

This incident occur after adding more drives.

After speaking with both of the vendors they seem to not have a clue, but rather blamed it on firmware.

I am pretty confident that the zoning is done correctly... but i could be wrong. 

Thank you,

Jin K

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
With no jobs running, run nbrbutil -resetall There can sometimes be something somewhere unreleased that doesnt show in nbrnutil -dump Martin

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

stop all backups and wait for drives to unload the tapes

run the command:
|nbrbutil -dump

check the MDS allocations. You must not have any MDS allocation. But I suspect that you will find two lines.
mark the allocation key numbers and run the command

nbrbutil -releaseMDS <id>

Now you can use all drives

MDS line example:
MdsAllocation allocationKey=29 jobType=1 mediaKey=4000001 mediaId=AZZ001 driveKey=2000001 driveName=Single_DDS drivePath={3,0,6,0} stuName=Magg masterServerName=1time mediaServerName=1time ndmpTapeServerName=

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

hmm, OP mentioned:

that infers to me that different drives are working, so the 2 that don't work when all drives are busy are sometimes used in other backup runs? Please confirm?

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

He sayd:

I will try to explain what is his problem.

when netbackup starts it counts the drives and store the number. It never counts the same drive again.

when a drive is selected for backups, netbackups subtract one drive from the count of available drives.

When this number is equal to 0, there shuld be no empty drives and netbackup does start other backups.(exept MPX backups).

There are some times that a drive or tape reservation is not cleared and netbackup does not add 1 to the count of empty drives. Even when you restart netbackup.

That's why netbackup use 10 of 12 drives, any of them.

I hope that I make it clear.

muhanad_daher
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

are you check the storage unit?

please check maximum concurrent write drives and update it to 12.

Jean-Pierre_Bai
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Check /usr/openv/netbackup/db/media/drives and /usr/openv/netbackup/db/media/tpreq to make sure there are no leftover "allocation files" to drives which are not being used.

Check your robot doesn't limit the amount of drives via a license.

JinKazama05
Level 2

@ Revaroo ,  you are correct.