cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup policy abort script

Netuk
Level 3

Hi,

We have a problem with backup window. Our NDMP backup window span more than 24 hrs and snapshots rename at 12:00am which makes backups running beyond 12:00am useless. Pls post a script if any of you have which abort all scheduled backups which are queued to run after 11:00pm.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Understood. It seems you've scheduled regular snapshots. Are you using a NDMP policy type? What are you specifying as the file list?

You don't need to target the current snapshots, NetBackup will ask the NetApp to create a snapshot when it does the backup. This snapshot would not be the ones that are created as per your NetApp scheduler (or other management software).

Even further to that, you could (if versions are compatible) the replication director from NetBackup. You can then have NetBackup create the snapshots, copy them to tape, replicate them to other NetApp devices etc.

Maybe this might help you. I'm not an expert on the NetApp side but that is what I recall from previous engagements. In certain cases we actually had to disable the amount of snapshots that NetApp was creating as there was none left to use with NetBackup.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Why run backups if you're going to abort them? Please ellaborate on the rename of snapshots, what are you referring to, the NDMP device deleting the snapshots?

How large is the dataset that it takes 24 hours to backup. PLease post speeds too.

Netuk
Level 3

Hi Riaan,

Everyday at 12:00am NetApp rename the old snapshot and create a new snapshot in its place. Therefore if  the policy backup runs beyond 12:00am, the new snapshot will be backed up from 12:00am onwards instead of old snapshot. Therefore even the Netbackup shows backup is successful. Its doubtful whether the backup is actually successful.

We use NDMP backups from NetApp, which backup all NetApp volumes. NDMP backup path is the snapshot (12:00am created snapshot). 24hr Backup window is not sufficient to run all backups. Therfore we need to manually abort the backups everyday at 11:30pm to enable start the following day's schedules on time.

Hope this expalins the problem.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Understood. It seems you've scheduled regular snapshots. Are you using a NDMP policy type? What are you specifying as the file list?

You don't need to target the current snapshots, NetBackup will ask the NetApp to create a snapshot when it does the backup. This snapshot would not be the ones that are created as per your NetApp scheduler (or other management software).

Even further to that, you could (if versions are compatible) the replication director from NetBackup. You can then have NetBackup create the snapshots, copy them to tape, replicate them to other NetApp devices etc.

Maybe this might help you. I'm not an expert on the NetApp side but that is what I recall from previous engagements. In certain cases we actually had to disable the amount of snapshots that NetApp was creating as there was none left to use with NetBackup.

RiaanBadenhorst

Sorry, I'm not really adressing your questions but I'd prefer to get a real solution to your problem :)

Marianne

I'm with Riaan on this - rather spend time and energy to solve backup issue.

There is no point in running backups only to kill it before completion.
NBU will not keep information about data already backed up. The entire backup will be discarded.

Netuk
Level 3

Thanks Marianne and Riaan , I will check for other ways to solve the backup issue.