cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup policy fails with error -96

Pauli
Level 2

Hi!

This issue has been discussed a lot but I couldn't find exactly similar case so let's go again:

I have a monthly policy to backup big set of data as full backup but it ends with error code 96.

The weird thing is that the pool this backup uses has tapes AND we have scratch pool which has tapes.

1. If the pool doesn't have available tapes it doesn't get tapes from scratch pool and dies with error 96.

2. If the pool has available tapes it doesn't continue after filling one tape and dies with error 96.

Any ideas what could be wrong with this?

Other pools work just fine and get tapes from scratch....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Pauli
Level 2

I replaced all tapes from that problematic pool with brand new tapes and now it works.

Sometimes obvious solution is the best one :)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

1. If the pool doesn't have available tapes it doesn't get tapes from scratch pool and dies with error 96.

Do you have the same density of the tapes with  robot number in scratch pool?

2. If the pool has available tapes it doesn't continue after filling one tape and dies with error 96.

Allow backups to span media is selected in host properties.

• NetBackup does not span media if the Allow backups to span media host property is not specified. The backup terminates abnormally when the end of media is reached. The operation is rescheduled according to the master server host property Schedule backup attempts.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Make sure any used tapes in the pool are the same density and also the same retention.

Also check you don't have frozen media too, you will have to decide if to unfree.

I like using the available_media script in the netbackup/bin/goodies directory to check these things rather than the GUI.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Check that scratch pool is indeed marked as the NBU scratch pool. You can check properties of the pool in the GUI or from cmd with vmpool -listscratch. Other than this, all I can suggest is to carefully look available_media output and ensure that the scratch media is in the robot (correct one if more than one robot ) and that it matches the density of the STU and tape drives.

Pauli
Level 2

"Do you have the same density of the tapes with  robot number in scratch pool?"

Yes - if that means tape type. They are all LTO 3 (400/800GB)

Allow span media is checked

There was no frozen media. 

"Make sure any used tapes in the pool are the same density and also the same retention."

We have another pool with different retentions: incremental 2 weeks and full backup was one month. They work fine.

This problem pool has different retention levels: incremental 2 weeks and full 3 weeks.

Scratch pool works well for all other pools except this one problematic one. And there are free tapes in scratch pool.

vmpool -listscratch
Scratch Pools
=============
Scratch

Pauli
Level 2

I replaced all tapes from that problematic pool with brand new tapes and now it works.

Sometimes obvious solution is the best one :)

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

And NONE of the advice give by anybody above helped in any way or pointed you in the right direction??