cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup policy

Arvind_Bhope
Level 3
Guys,

What does a netbackup policy have. What information does it basically stores in it.  And If i have to find out as a DBA what is the info in the backup policy .. how do i do that ?

I'm just aware that the policy has backup type and backup schedule info. Correct me if iam wrong!

h2h,
AB
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
it has:
A list of servers to backup.
A schedule(s) of when to backup - and the retention period for each schedule.
   if Calender based, it would have what days of the week or year to backup.
Which storage unit to use.
which volume pool to use
a Job priority if set
The Backup Selection (which files, dirs to backup)
(and a few other little things)

As a DBA I don't know that you would have access to run the command to find out.

But the big question here is does your database backup to disk - and then netbackup takes that flat file to tape?
Or does Netbackup use the database agent to backup the database directly?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
it has:
A list of servers to backup.
A schedule(s) of when to backup - and the retention period for each schedule.
   if Calender based, it would have what days of the week or year to backup.
Which storage unit to use.
which volume pool to use
a Job priority if set
The Backup Selection (which files, dirs to backup)
(and a few other little things)

As a DBA I don't know that you would have access to run the command to find out.

But the big question here is does your database backup to disk - and then netbackup takes that flat file to tape?
Or does Netbackup use the database agent to backup the database directly?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Windows or Unix?
On Unix, you need to be root (or given access/permission by root) and on Windows, you need local Admin rights to run this command to check contents of policy:
bppllist <policy_name> -L

Detailed info about backup policies can be found in NBU Admin Guide I.

Arvind_Bhope
Level 3

Thanks for the info Hinchcliffe and Marianne,

Yes i do not have the access for it.  There is an netbackup agent installed on the databse server and my backup goes to media.

All the  policies i have seen in my env  are per databse and not per server.

All the db's are on unix flavors only.

Regards,
AB

Arvind_Bhope
Level 3

Guys,

Is it a ideal situation that bp.conf has only the attribute SERVERS or is that it shd have other entries like ALLOW_NON_RESERVED_PORTS and BPARCHIVE_POLICY  and so on and so forth ...

where SERVERS={entry1,entry2,entry3 .....}.

Arvind_Bhope
Level 3

And as well can some one explain what is the significance of having multiple server distinct entries for server attribute in bp.conf file

Regards,

A

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

your bp.conf has what it needs.

the only time you get all those "other" things in there is if you have a special need.   Most of my servers do NOT have all that special stuff (masters and media servers are a little different)

As to multiple servers entries that is for access

the master should always be the first one.

any media servers will also have an entry.

you might also have entries for any servers that run the master netbackup console.

If you look at client properties in the gui under servers.

Any server name in the top part will show as a SERVER  any in the bottom will show as a MEDIA_SERVER

Marianne

Arvind, a suggestion:

Seeing that you seem to be quite interested in how NBU works, why don't you ask your backup administrator to show you around? He can start by showing you the policy configuration for the database backups and also how the different components fit together.

Information about bp.conf entries can also be explained when the backup admin shows you Host Properties in the GUI.

As JH explained, each media server that can backup the client needs a SERVER (or MEDIA_SERVER) entry. The difference is that a SERVER entry also enables that server to manage Host Properties for the client as well.

Since your original question was answered, won't you please choose a post to 'MARK AS SOLUTION'?

shrisai
Level 3

Check Admin Guide.Try to install NBU and try to do some test restore,backup,create policy.you will come to know.

Marianne

The original question was answered and we have in previous posts suggested that Arvind read the Admin Guide.

I have marked JH's post as solution so that this thread can be locked.