cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup process (bpfis & bpbrm) found to be hung

Harish_Ramakris
Level 4

Hello -

We have Netbackup media server (Windows 2008) running Netbackup 7.5.0.4 and we see there are many bpfis and bpbrm in hung state after late night backup, however we dont see any backup failure but we are forced to kill this hung process.

Any suggestions?

~ Harish

6 REPLIES 6

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Is this a VMWare backup host?

It sounds like you may have had VMWare backup jobs that have failed (156 error?) that have left behind their bpfis processes and also that the parent job may have hung or lost communication to the Master and so also left the bpbrm process behind

Are you seeing any issues with communications between Master and Media Server or Media Server and clients? If so you may need to do some tuning to increase the number of ports available to the servers.

Also worth checking that Anti Virus is excluding these processes and not locking them out

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

In addtion, if you have the bpfis or bprm log you can review to see if there were any errors.

Also check the application event viewer for any VSS ESE errors.

How much free space do you have where netbackup is installed at ?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
If the process is hung,, probably no errors in the logs. Difficult one, as you have killed the processes, you have possibly distroyed the evidence needed to find the issue. Hung process can also be mistaken for slow process, it is possible if left it would have come back to life, ok, still problem, but this is different to a hung process that is totally stuck. Personally on windows I would have run process monitor (3rd party) to see what the process was doing, on unix, I would have forced a corre dup of the process(es) and then seen if I coud match this to a previous eTrack, if not submitting to Engineerig would have been an ption, along with the process logs and a few other bits and pieces. Best you can do is make sure these two logs are turned up, and get process monitor installled in case it happens again. Sometimes a cause cannot be determined, but this would probably give the best chance. Martin

Harish_Ramakris
Level 4

Yes this is a VMware backup host, I guess your comment is right..yes

I should disable SAV to scan Netbackup directory and check if the issue resolves.

Harish_Ramakris
Level 4

I have enough free space +50 GB

Harish_Ramakris
Level 4

Thanks for the comment Martin, I will first try to disable Netbackup directory and consider installing 3rd party software to monitor the process with the logs enabled.