cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup restore failed - Restore error(2850)

emdlove
Level 4

I hope you all can help me.  

NBU 7.6.0.4

I have a Quantum iScalar library - the drives have been replaced then the chassis.   They (Quantum) were unable to restore the original configuration that I had saved because the serial number was different. :(   So it had to be manually reconfigured which has been done.  The encryption is Application Managed - Q-EKM, however this particular library is not the host.  

The problem is I'm trying to do a restore from 2016 for legal purposes, of course it's urgent and I'm running into an error consistently.  I read another post where the user said he had to reconnect the library to the server?  I don't know how to do that.  The data on the tape is good to 2023.  

I have attached the error log and the library info. 

Please assist at your earliest convience. 

Thank you

Esther

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

This seems like Tape Library is not able to communicate with Tape Encryption (Q-EKM) manager. The picture shows Encryption is "Application Managed", if it's managed by Quantum Key Manager it should look like "Lirbary Managed"

Logon to your Quantum Web console, go to Setup => Encryption => System Configuration , ensure correct key manager is set. Also verify here - Setup => Encryption => Encryption Partition Configuration , EKM is enabled.

View solution in original post

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@emdlove

You have a typo error in the command:
bpmedia -movedb -m 010963 -newserver -lsatl99bakmed01 -oldserver lsatl00bakmed02

-lsatl99bakmed01

Drop the '-' before the new media server name.

bpmedia -movedb -m 010963 -newserver lsatl99bakmed01 -oldserver lsatl00bakmed02

Marianne
The new library not only needs to have encryption enabled, it also needs to have the same keys that were used on the old library. Somewhere in your documentation should be a procedure to backup/store encryption keys and how to restore them to another library.
You won't be able to restore without the original encryption keys.

As per @mph999 in the 1st URL of my previous post:
"I wonder if the encryption keys that were used to encrypt the tape are available - this is a common reason for these sorts of issues with any type of encryption."

11 REPLIES 11

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

This seems like Tape Library is not able to communicate with Tape Encryption (Q-EKM) manager. The picture shows Encryption is "Application Managed", if it's managed by Quantum Key Manager it should look like "Lirbary Managed"

Logon to your Quantum Web console, go to Setup => Encryption => System Configuration , ensure correct key manager is set. Also verify here - Setup => Encryption => Encryption Partition Configuration , EKM is enabled.

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

By the way why your Library Dates are set in past?? Library date is set to last century 1999!!

Hi.. hopefully you can help..  After Quantum came onsite, reseated the controller board, set the time and date etc. they also replaced both drives in the library.   I re-added the Q-EKM License and put in the primary and secondary server info.  NO problem.  Date and Time was set correctly.  Ran the wizard to configure drives, no problems. I started the restore, same error 2850.  

original config.  - see attached  - I moved the media to a different library attached to lsatl99bakmed01

ran command to move the media bpmedia -movedb -m 010916 -newserver -lsatl99bakmed01 -oldserver lscrp01filxxx01

get an error everytime. 

Backup source - lscrp01filxxx01

media server - lsatl00bakmed02 

master - satlbuma01 

Marianne

@emdlove

You have a typo error in the command:
bpmedia -movedb -m 010963 -newserver -lsatl99bakmed01 -oldserver lsatl00bakmed02

-lsatl99bakmed01

Drop the '-' before the new media server name.

bpmedia -movedb -m 010963 -newserver lsatl99bakmed01 -oldserver lsatl00bakmed02

Hello All, 

Marriane, fixing that error worked.  I was able to put the tapes in a different library and start the restore but got the exact same error.  So I went back and grabbed tapes from the previous month, started the restore via the original library and got the exact same error.  Please see attached.  Two weeks ago I was able to do a restore (NDMP) via the same media server with no problem.  Nothings changed since that time.  This error 2850 points to the tape being blank but I verified that last week.  

I've attached the error and the bptm log from today.  I hope you can point me in the right direction.  I will continue to read post where others have had this issue. 

The library did have all sorts of issues.  I updated the firmware.  quantum replaced the drives and reseated the controller board and once that was done we were able to set the date and time correctly.  I was also able to enable QEKM.  Unfortunately I have tried this restore on two different libraries and I get the same error.  

Thank you Marianne.  I'll go back to Quantum and see if they can help me resolve this issue. 

I'll keep you posted!!!

You're the best, I really appreciate your quick responses.

Esther

Marianne
The new library not only needs to have encryption enabled, it also needs to have the same keys that were used on the old library. Somewhere in your documentation should be a procedure to backup/store encryption keys and how to restore them to another library.
You won't be able to restore without the original encryption keys.

As per @mph999 in the 1st URL of my previous post:
"I wonder if the encryption keys that were used to encrypt the tape are available - this is a common reason for these sorts of issues with any type of encryption."

The encryption not being fully enabled on the library and the drive partitions turned out to be the issue.   Once the Encryption on System and Partition configuration was enabled and restarted I was abled to do the restore!  Thank you ALL for your suggestions and pointing me in the right direction!!  

You all are so very very helpful!!!  Thank you!!

emdlove

Thank you for your help!!  The encryption was enabled, license installed but the partition configuration was enabled.  Thank you so much for help.