cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup services Hung/multiple bpclntcmd.exe process running

rk1074
Level 6
Partner
Hello, Of late we are experiencing this issue on number of our WIndows 2k3 and 2k8 servers where the Netbackup services just go hung and do not start . when we try to start them manually, error like failed to start the dependency and the services do not start started in timely fashion occurs. Also on many servers bpclntcmd.exe multiple processes could be seen running. We try to kill them manually but that wont work. We have McAfee shiled 8.8 running on the servers and have the nbu processes excluded from the scan. Any goood resolution apart from upgrade or reboot. We have to reboot the server for getting the backups running but we cannot do this everytime since these are prod servers. All the server are at NBU 7.1.0.2 including master/media(linux machines) PS- 7.6 upgrade project is in place and will upgrade severs in few month time.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Worth double checkimng everything .. i have seen McAfee updates removing the exclusions which could be why everything suddenly started to get affected.

Almost every customer i have had with McAfee has had issues and most have replaced it on their backup servers with other AV software

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Turn off the McAfee access protection - that causes more issues that the anti virus part

If it uses it also disable its firewall driver: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56658

Failing that just make sure the server have plenty of memory .. is this master, media or clients that are affected?

rk1074
Level 6
Partner
Hello Mark, Thanks for the reply!! I wish could get this done but I dont think our security team will be open to this . I also went through tht tech note earliera and got the services excluded as per the Tech note. Having said that, just need to know why its not a recurring issue on a single server and it keeps reoccuring on evry other server now. All the affected server are Windows 2k3 and 2k8 clients

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Would you be able to work with the security team for some flexablity to disable for a short period of time? This would at least pin point the conflicts to be addressed.

Ultimally exclusions and work arounds, like what Mark referenced with TECH56658, are going to be the solution. Some products just wont play nice with backup software right out of the box and have to be tweeked.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Worth double checkimng everything .. i have seen McAfee updates removing the exclusions which could be why everything suddenly started to get affected.

Almost every customer i have had with McAfee has had issues and most have replaced it on their backup servers with other AV software