cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup services state=failed

louismtq
Level 2

Hello everyone,

I have this Netbackup 7.7.2 master server running on RHEL 7 who have some netbackup services that are flag failed (exit status 2).  Everything on the server is running fine so from what i understand, these are "false positive". Have anybody ran into this ? Could this be a glitch in the start script ?

Thanks for any input on this

~]# systemctl --state=failed

UNIT                     LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION

• amf.service              loaded failed failed LSB: Asynchronous Monitoring Framework (AMF) Driver
  • gab.service              loaded failed failed LSB: VERITAS Group Membership and Atomic Broadcast (GAB)
  • llt.service              loaded failed failed LSB: VERITAS Low Latency Transport (LLT)
  • netbackup.service        loaded failed failed LSB: NetBackup
  • vxfen.service            loaded failed failed SYSV: VERITAS I/O Fencing (VXFEN)
  • vxfs_replication.service loaded failed failed LSB: VxFS replication scheduler and daemon
  • vxgms.service            loaded failed failed SYSV: VERITAS Group Message Service (GMS)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Correct. They are all part of the same product family and use the same installation media.
The person who installed this seemed to have selected all products instead of only what is needed.
If VCS is not required, it can be uninstalled without affecting SF and Replicator.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Editted as I was incorrect -  apologies, and thanks to Marianne for pointing out the correct status.

Marianne
Level 6

I would be very concerned.

GAB, LLT and VXFEN are Veritas Cluster Server (VCS) components.

Why is VCS installed?

Is NBU clustered?
Or was there a plan to cluster NBU but it has not yet been done?

NBU can ONLY be clustered during a new installation. 
Standalone NBU installation cannot be converted to clustered later on - unless you pay for consulting services from a Catman (Catalog Manipulation) partner.

Thanks for your response.

To my knowledge it is not installed in cluster and there is no plan to do so. I am new to this and not the one who installed Netbackup but i was told that there is a "mirror" server that can do the work in case of the primary failing but all of it's services are at a stopped (dead) state.

So if we don't use NBU in cluster it would be OK to disable those particular services at startup ?

Marianne
Level 6

I am still wondering why VCS is installed on your NBU master server but not configured.

Expensive software doing nothing? Unused/unconfigured?

Find out why it was purchased and installed.

If there is no intension of using it, uninstall VCS.
Follow procedure in VCS Installation Guide to uninstall software.
You can find correct doc for your version over here: https://sort.veritas.com/documents 

I am told that there is a Storage Foundation process tu is used to replicate one folder between the master and the "mirror" server but that's all.  Maybe there is a link between Storage Foundation and VCS? This is all very new to me.

Marianne
Level 6
Correct. They are all part of the same product family and use the same installation media.
The person who installed this seemed to have selected all products instead of only what is needed.
If VCS is not required, it can be uninstalled without affecting SF and Replicator.

Thank you for your input on this.  I have discuss this with the Linux team and at first we will disable the unused services and validate how Netbackup react and if it's all good, we will remove them.

Thanks again.