cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup slow export to tape

Itai
Level 4

Hi

I wonder if there is fine tuning option to accalarate export to tape. windows file server with over a milion small files,it is 8 TB size by now, and tape is LTO6

it is taking around 4-5 days to finish export

I have read a little about buffer options etc but too afraid to create new problem after changing default settings

Happy to know about best parctice about it

Media server redhat 7

master server win 2008r2

Regards

Itai

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
How are your duplications configured? SLP? Vault? Manual? Is source and destination SAN attached to same media server? Same or different hba's? Do you have bptm log on media server(s)? Have you had a look at "waited for full/empty buffers" in logs and job details?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

See my blog on tuning Netbackup tape buffer size:

http://www.mass.dk/netbackup-guides/netbackup-buffer-tuning-2/

It is just two files to edit - the blog tell how to do it.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The probalem could be it is over a million small files - each file has to be accessed, opened, closed ...

If you backup a bigger file to the same drive, is this quite fast (a file that is say a few hundred MB)

If I am correct, no amount of tuning will fix ythis, it is a limitation of the operating system, not the backup software - all backup softweare has this problem.

Flashbackup might be better

Marianne

I think I misinterpreted 'export to tape' as 'duplication to tape'.

Are you doing backup straight to tape?

There is very little that can be done to speed up the backup of millions of small files to tape.

The only real solution (without dedupe disk, client side dedupe and Accellerator) is to use FlashBackup option.

You need NetBackup Enterprise Client license for this and sufficient space on the File server for VSS snapshot.

FlashBackup backs up the entire raw partition but allows file-level restore.

Will_Restore
Level 6

Windows DFSR?  Best bet would be to make that fileserver a NetBackup Media Server (presuming it has an HBA).

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Martin - I understand what you are saying. But I too many times seen customers complaining over bad backup speed, just because the basic buffer tuning wasn't carried out. 

Once tape buffer was tuned backup speed actual rose to a acceptable level. 

Marianne
It would be nice if Itai could get back to us with more info. It seems that there is a MSDP media server in this environment : https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/p2v-netback-media-server-761-2008 Why backup millions of small files directly to tape? Why not make full use of client-side dedupe and Accelerator?