Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup status code 96

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi

I am still having status error code 96. That is the most common error, and i would like to resolve this as soon as possible. 

But before we continue.

There are things i really need to understand about my license.

The kind of license i have is a license that has all the features but can do a maximum of 6TB of data.

So looking at all the tapes that i used for my backup and their capacity, do you think that i have exceeded the 6TB.

Also, as i told you earlier, i have two robotic library and i am using two Tapes with a capacity of 1.6TB each from one of the robotic library (A00000 and A00001).

For instance i move the two tapes that are full offsite, what happens to my license capacity, does it still see 6TB capacity or does it exclude (1.6 * 2 = 3.2TB) from the 6TB.

This staus code error 96, i know has to do with no media or no available space for backup.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

Yes you can do what you want with 1 policy and 2 robots you just have to set it up.

1) have 2 storage units,  one to robot A and one to robot B

2) create a Storage unit group - have it include the storage unit to robot A and the storage unit to robot B

3) create volume pools ( I think you already have this)  one for fulls with tapes in robot A

one with tapes in robot B for the incr's.

4) create your policy - assign it the Storage unit GROUP  (so now it can use either robot) 

5) in the policy add either of the volume pools.  lets say the one for robot A (its ok we will work around this)

6) create your Full schedule - and if robot A has the tapes for the full schedule we are good.  It will use the volume pool you added to the policy and all full backups will go to tapes on robot A

7) create your Incr schedule - now this one wants to use the tapes in robot b, which needs the volume pool with tapes in robot B.  So when you create the schedule check "Override policy volume_pool" and add in the volume pool for robot B tapes.

So Now when the fulls run the media server should use the storage unit on robot A and the tapes from your full volume pool.

When the incr's run it should use the storage unit on robot B and the tapes from your incr volume pool.

EDIT:  you could also not use Storage unit group, and just on your incr schedule override the policy storage unit and specify it to use the one for robot B

------

Now I have not tested this, but I think this would solve your issue of wanting 1 policy, 2 schedules, 2 volume pools 2 robots.

If anybody thinks I have this wrong, please point out anything I forgot.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Status 96 is in no way related to capacity based licensing - it is purely related insufficient media in the storage unit specified in the policy.

Capacity based licensing is for front-end capacity. If the total amount of data that you need to backup is 6 TB, you can create as many backups as you like of this data. Just provide sufficient media.

See this post for the reason for your status 96: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-13

Please also have a look this in-depth troubleshooting guide for status 96: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43229

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

Yes you can do what you want with 1 policy and 2 robots you just have to set it up.

1) have 2 storage units,  one to robot A and one to robot B

2) create a Storage unit group - have it include the storage unit to robot A and the storage unit to robot B

3) create volume pools ( I think you already have this)  one for fulls with tapes in robot A

one with tapes in robot B for the incr's.

4) create your policy - assign it the Storage unit GROUP  (so now it can use either robot) 

5) in the policy add either of the volume pools.  lets say the one for robot A (its ok we will work around this)

6) create your Full schedule - and if robot A has the tapes for the full schedule we are good.  It will use the volume pool you added to the policy and all full backups will go to tapes on robot A

7) create your Incr schedule - now this one wants to use the tapes in robot b, which needs the volume pool with tapes in robot B.  So when you create the schedule check "Override policy volume_pool" and add in the volume pool for robot B tapes.

So Now when the fulls run the media server should use the storage unit on robot A and the tapes from your full volume pool.

When the incr's run it should use the storage unit on robot B and the tapes from your incr volume pool.

EDIT:  you could also not use Storage unit group, and just on your incr schedule override the policy storage unit and specify it to use the one for robot B

------

Now I have not tested this, but I think this would solve your issue of wanting 1 policy, 2 schedules, 2 volume pools 2 robots.

If anybody thinks I have this wrong, please point out anything I forgot.

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

A few more details, and pls more explanation!

I have extra two 1.6TB tapes on the second robot and about 6 extra 500GB tapes on the first robot library which is already loaded in the scratch pool for incremental backups.

Of course i have all my FULL Backups going to the second robot library, that has about four 1.6TB tapes inside it and all my incremental backups going to the first robot library that has about sixteen 500GB tapes in it.

For the second robot drive with 1.6TB tapes, i dont have any extra tape in the scratch pool, but for the first robot drive with 500GB tapes i have about 6 extra tapes in the SCRATCH pool.

So are you saying that i should go ahead and put in the remaining two extra 1.6TB in the scratch pool for my FULL Backups.

The 6TB license does not affect the physical tapes that are being used for backup jobs.

I was thinking that all backup job are liable to fail when the backup exceed a total of 6TB worth of data based on the license.

I have a total of 8TB(500GB each) worth of tapes in the first robot library and a total of 6.4TB(1.6TB each) in the second robot library.

How do i manage this whole settings when the total servers that are to be backed up have a total data capacity of about 10TB.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

You must have scratch tapes in the library that is being used for backups.

Now those tapes can be in the scratch pool or in your volume pool you are going to use for backups.

If you have no tapes available for the backup to use you will get a 96 error " no media available"

In your case you have 2 robots one that is used for fulls and one that is used for incr's so you need avail tapes in both robots for each type of backup to work.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

and as Marianne has said more then once,  the license capacity is based on front end.

Meaning you have 6 tb's of disk space you want to back up.

You can back it up as many times as you want.