cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup support for Hyper-v Dynamic Optimization

stucci
Level 6

Hi all,

I can't understand if the last release of Netbackup can backup the VM hyper-v with the Dynamic Optimization enabled. ( this feature allow the dynamic relocation of the VMs to balance the workload)

thank you for your help,

regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thank you SDO,

I asked to my Veritas support, and the Official answer is:

We do support Hyper-V Dynamic Optimization.  The only caveat is that Hyper-V does not have a way to lock the virtual machine when moving, so if the backup fails because it is being moved then the original backup may fail and will be picked up again on the retry.

best regards

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

AFAIK yes.  We have Hyper-V VMs dynamially managed, and so they can (and sometimes do) move around on a 24 host cluster.  As long as you use the cluster name for the name of the Hyper-V host in the NetBackup Hyper-V backup policy, then no matter which host a VM is on, then it will still be backed-up.

Hi sdo thank you for your fast reply.

I have a customer that use a backup competitor software that doesn't support the dynamic optimization and seems that it lose the VM when it s moved. I would like to be sure that netbackup support this feature, and I can't find any documentation about this.

I only found this where the NBU 7.x doesn't support the feature:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000087718

anyone can suggest some official document ??

tks regards

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

I can't suggest an official document.

Some points from that referenced tech note, is that the combination of :

- NetBackup v7.x

- Hyper-V 2008 R2

- SCVMM 2012

...do not sit well together.  But I cannot help but think that there is a big difference between NetBackup v7.0 and v7.7.3.  I wish the Veritas tech note was more specific and stated the actual NetBackup version range of no support.

At my site, we're definitely using dynamic optimisation on SCVMM 2012 R2 with Hyper-V 2012 R2 and NetBackup v7.7.3, and now also NetBackup v8.1.1 and I have not seen the problems identified in the tech note... but...

...but...

...of our 920 (exactly) VMs on Hyper-V only a handful are backed-up as VMs - so maybe we've just been lucky so far to not hit the same problems with our version mix of 2012 R2.

Thank you SDO,

I asked to my Veritas support, and the Official answer is:

We do support Hyper-V Dynamic Optimization.  The only caveat is that Hyper-V does not have a way to lock the virtual machine when moving, so if the backup fails because it is being moved then the original backup may fail and will be picked up again on the retry.

best regards