cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup support for Oracle Express Edition (XE) ?

Haniwa
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Concerning Oracle Database 11gR2 XE...

"Symantec NetBackup 7.x Database and Application Agent Compatibility List", makes no reference to specific Oracle database editions, so I would take that to indicate support for "All Editions". But, since Oracle Express Edition (XE) is substantially different than SE/EE... I would like to confirm that:

1) XE is supported by Netbackup Oracle Agent

2) If yes, is Netbackup on Oracle DB XE limited or hobbled in any fashion (relative to SE) ?

Thank You,

Ken W

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Don't think its supported - XE is a free edition. Usually Symantec only deals with official supported software - XE is only community supported. But if XE edition does RMAN it may work. Remember - Netbackup does not backup Oracle, Netbackup it's only a media manager layer for RMAN.

With respect to question 2 - I think you need to look at

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17781_01/license.112/e18068/toc.htm

to see what options Oracle disabled for the XE edition.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Don't think its supported - XE is a free edition. Usually Symantec only deals with official supported software - XE is only community supported. But if XE edition does RMAN it may work. Remember - Netbackup does not backup Oracle, Netbackup it's only a media manager layer for RMAN.

With respect to question 2 - I think you need to look at

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17781_01/license.112/e18068/toc.htm

to see what options Oracle disabled for the XE edition.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You will have to get hold of Product Management via your Symantec SE to get these questions answered.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

RMAN is framework for server-managed backup and recovery on Oracle. So as it is listed as "not available" in doc Nicolai suggested, I think Oracle XE does not support RMAN.

DaveM16
Level 4
Partner Employee Accredited Certified

My understanding is that Oracle XE is not supported by Symantec (Symantec only support Orace Enterprise Edition).

That said it should work, and various people have made it work (Oracle XE supports SBT and RMAN interface).

Note that although it may work if you have any issues, neither Oracle nor Symantec would be able to help you.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Hi Ken

Do not know if Oracle Xe is supported, but have been able to run backup of an Oracle XE instance with rman which is what the netbackup agent communicates with. If I remember correctly you can only run offline backup of an Oracle XE instance

Hope this helps you

Regards

Michael

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue