cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup to Backup Exec.

Stephanie_Smith
Level 2
Currently, I am running Netbackup 5.1MP3. I am using it to backup 40+ Window based servers (either 2000 or 2003). Because I am only backing up Window clients, I was thinking of switching from Netbackup to Backup Exec. What are the repercussions of going switching from Netbackup to Backup Exec?
6 REPLIES 6

Tim_Biller_2
Level 3
I think you'll find you have to retain the existing Master/Media server infrastructure until all the Netbackup images have expired (depending on your retention periods)

So you'll need a new server for a start and possibly a bunch of new tapes to account for the unexpired images. This might mean a larger silo (or even an additional one unless you can share the current one between two backup servers) unless your present one has sufficient capacity etc etc etc.

Also, there is extra work in installing new client software, testing with (and I'm not even sure you can have BE and NBU clients installed together) the new software etc etc etc.

I would consider this a backward step, in all honesty.

Stephanie_Smith
Level 2
Will I be able to restore in Backup Exec with tapes that have images on them from Netbackup?

Do Backup Exex have alerts or notification? Will it be able to send emails via SMTP when a job is complete or failed?

zippy
Level 6
yes they can be, but not for Netware.

http://symantec.atgnow.com/availability/Login.jsp?SearchTerm=upgrade+Backup+Exec+master+to+Netbackup+Enterprise+master&show_seer=1&fcode=FE_51332&displayFcode=NBUESVR&ddOS=&ProductVersion=&show_pdf=1&include_techfiles=1

This is a link for all versions,

JD

Stephanie_Smith
Level 2
Hi James,

Which question is your answer referring to? I asked three question in my last post. I trying to figure out what problems I will to encounter if I switch to Backup Exec.

Thanks

Stumpr2
Level 6
>Will I be able to restore in Backup Exec with tapes that have images on them from Netbackup?
NO

>Will I be able to restore in NetBackup with tapes that have images on them from BackupExec?
Yes - BackupExec tapes can be imported to NetBackupBS

Chris_Colvin
Level 4
I've worked in both environments and like Netbackup much better. It seems to have more functionality and features, and seems to work better overall.