cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup to restrict manual movement of tapes

dipendra
Level 4

Hello All, I want to restrict manual movement of tapes from one pool to another, it should be restricted for any user even for Admin and must be enabled using some option. Does netbackup provides such feature ? We observed in our setup some operators move data tapes to SCRATCH pool and we want to avoid it, I know netbackup automatically prevents moving tapes to SCRATCH till the data has valid retention.

3 REPLIES 3

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

More information needed, what are you trying to archieve ?

To my knowledge you can't move a tape with valid backup to the scratch pool, so that isn't your issue. Tapes assigned to a volume pool, but with expired backup should be OK to move to the scratch pool. That is the purpose of a scratch pool.

If you don't want Netbackup to return empty tapes backup to the scratch pool set :

<install_path>\bin\admincmd\nbemmcmd -changesetting -machinename <emm_server> -RETURN_UNASSIGNED_MEDIA_TO_SCRATCH_POOL no

Genericus
   VIP   

My understanding as well, is that if NetBackup pulled a tape from the scratch pool, it will return it there when it expires.

If the empty tapes are already in a specific pool, it leaves them there.

I use this to have specific tapes as catalog tapes, I put the empty tapes in the catalog pool, and when I create a catalog tape is uses one of those empty tapes. In a DR, which is your catalog tape? MINE are the only ones that start with E2...

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

YAG55
Level 4

Hi,

If I understood the problem well, possible to use the option in joint for the creation of the rules on the tapes :