cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup web management console Tomcat

nbu2020
Level 2

Hi,

Is it possible to launch Java GUI even without the /usr/openv/wmc directory. This directory contains tom cat server files which are being flagged for vulnerabilities.

So can i remove the above directory and still have a operational JAVA GUI ?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

update:

Thanks for the feedback here. I tested removing the /usr/openv/wmc directory, and restarted netbackup server. I was able to relaunch the java admin console w/o issues.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hamza_H
   VIP   

I wouldn't recommand to do this.. but it depeneds on your needs actually.. is the nbu version 7.6 as tagged in your post?

have you tried to open the Console after that change? (you can move it to another path and try, and if it doesn't work.. do a roll back..)

which vulnerabilites that you get?

Hamza_H
   VIP   

also if it is 7.6 this utility is used for Symantec NetBackup™ Plug-in for VMware vSphere Web Client Guide.. as waell as all other web services.. as described in https://sort.veritas.com/DocPortal/pdf/ka6j0000000BPF0AAO

"By default, the NetBackup Web Services are disabled on the master server. To
allow the NetBackup plug-in for vSphere Web Client to communicate with the master
server, the NetBackup administrator must enable the NetBackup Web Services."

I you can't find access to that link please let me know :)

hope I could give you a little help regarding this

Thanks for your response. Basically the Tomcat install in  the NB setup is getting flagged, even though we dont use any web gui.

Here is the main link of the vulnerabilities being reported for TomCat-

https://www.tenable.com/plugins/nessus/77475

And no we have not removed it yet. So wanted to check here and see if anyone sees any issues before we remove the files. Yes plan is to put them back if it breaks the Java GUI.

If you really are at NBU version 7.6, then you can probably do without the tomcat files (to be fair, I have not tested this, nor do I recommend this). And if you are at version 7.6, then you should really think about upgrading to a supported version - you will probably find that the tomcat vulnerabilities also go away.

If you are at a modern NetBackup version, then the tomcat server is not just for a web UI, it is also used to distribute security ceritifcates and other vitally important NBU stuff - removing it will break NetBackup.

update:

Thanks for the feedback here. I tested removing the /usr/openv/wmc directory, and restarted netbackup server. I was able to relaunch the java admin console w/o issues.