Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup with VCB - multiple virtual machine with identical DNS

EricYCK
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

We came across the following scenario for VCB backup with NetBackup

As shown in figure 1, there is one original virtual machine and clone machine, both of them have the identical DNS resolve name in VC.

We noticed that there is only one machine listed in the browse virtual machine in netbackup policy console as figure 2.

When the backup schedule run, it will backup the original virtual machine.

Anyone have idea how to backup the clone virtual machine.

Thank you for your help in advance

4 REPLIES 4

bumj1
Level 5

I can not see your images (stupid internet security settings). 

If you have two guests with the same DNS name, you can specify the guests in the host file on your proxy server, which should pull the VM guests in by the name from the host file.  

Another option would be to change the "VM_Lookup_Method" in the config.js file (located in the VCB install directory).  You can change this to guest name if you don't have duplicate names in virtual center.

Here is the explanation from the config.js file:

The criteria to be used to identify a virtual machine
 * +) ipaddr
 *    VMs are looked up based on their DNS name/IP address.
 * +) name
 *    VMs are looked up based on their name as shown in VirtualCenter.
 *    Note that backup will fail for VMs with non-unique names.
 * The default option is "ipaddr". You should only change this
 * if you have multiple sets of VMs with the same IP address, but with
 * different names.

EricYCK
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

Thanks for your reponse.

I change the config.js accordingly, the virtual machine lists still show the DNS name.

Any thing I need to config/modify?

regards,

Eric 

bumj1
Level 5
Just type the name of the guest that you want to backup in the top box labeled, "Enter the fully qualified name of your Virtual machine", and press OK, the guest will then be added to the policy.

EricYCK
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

I still have problem to backup those virtual machine clone from original with identical ip address.

I log case to symantec support and i got reply that is not support if there is identical ip address, the netbackup only use FQDN. 

I read from some forum, there is article mentioned that netbackup 6.5.3 no longer using the config.js, is that true?

Anyone can advice.