cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup work with EMC NAS

Charles_C
Level 4

HI All,

I am new on Netbackup. Hope to get some suggestions or hints from experts for configuring the Netbackup work with EMC NAS using NDMP.

Well, I am working on 2 device, 1 netbackup software with a Hp tape drive run on windows and EMC NAS.

What I want to do is to use the netbackup to backup the data in the EMC NAS(checkpoint created by schedule) by NDMP.

The configuration of NDMP on EMC NAS should be fine, however, I can not create the backup and link to the EMC NAS from netbackup.

Quite confuse that from the user guide of EMC, it asked us to create robot. However I have no idea because I can not create a robot.

Any good idea for me? is the procudure right?

Thanks

CC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I understand you're trying to restore to the same ndmp host, but did you select it in the BAR GUI "Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type" area?

HKS159 is the ndmp host? What is testing1_netbk?

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Please tell me a bit more about your current NetBackup environment and lets forget about the NAS for now.

Do you have an NDMP license for NetBackup?

Do you have a robot/tape library configured in NetBackup already?

Have you zoned the tape drives in this library so the NAS device can also access them?

Do you have SSO (Shared Storage Option) Licenses?

If you can please answer these questions, then I can tell you what type of configuration is possible.

Charles_C
Level 4

NDMP License >>> Yes

SSO License >>> Yes

Do you have a robot/tape library configured in NetBackup already?

I have a Tape Drive added in the "Device" > "Driver" , driver type is DLT

Have you zoned the tape drives in this library so the NAS device can also access them? 

Sorry What do you mean by Zoned the tape library? I think I did not.

Thanks

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Ok, so you only have a single drive configured and attached to your master server. You can therefore only perform remote NDMP backups. Please see the notes below for configuration.

You need to Authorize the NetBackup server to access the NDMP hosts you want to back
up. (you need to do this for both options)

Do the following on the NetBackup media server:
■    Under Media and Device Management > Credentials, click on NDMP Hosts. Under Actions, choose New > NDMP Host to display the NDMP Host dialog box.
■    Enter the name of the NDMP server (NAS filer) to back up. This NDMP host name is case sensitive.
■    Repeat the above for each NDMP host that the NetBackup server backs up.

Option 1 - Remote NDMP

1. Simply create a policy of NDMP type, add the NDMP device as the client, add the volumes to back (/vol/home etc), point it to the storage unit on your master server.

Mouse

The filer should be able to see attached tape drives, the same way as the NBU server does.

Once you've got it visible on the NAS box, provide credentials for the NDMP box in NBU and create a policy.

RiaanBadenhorst

The Filer does not need to see the tape drives, he can use remote NDMP to backup. Having tape drives attached to the NDMP host would obviously be the best option, but from what I gather he only has a direct attached tape drive (not even a library).

Mouse

Ok, got it.

However I see no point having this configuration of NDMP, due to proprietary format that is filer-specific.

What would he do if filer has gone and couple of important folders need recovery? Unless you have second box from the same manufacturer that understands the format of backup taken you have no option for recovery

RiaanBadenhorst

Thats true, this option (NDMP) should really be implemented to give you an increase in speed (IMHO). Sending the data across the LAN doesn't really guarantee that, but it might be faster than backing up a CIFS share mounted on the master/media/client.

As for filer failure, in either case, remote / direct ndmp, if you dont have another filer, you wont be able to recover?

Mouse

According to the NDMP standard, backup format is specified by filer itself, not by backup application. Therefore, you can't actually recover NDMP backup of NetApp to, say, Celerra and other way round.

I do agree that backup of a CIFS share is more wise way of backup comparing to remote NDMP

Charles_C
Level 4

Hi

Added the NDMP host on Credentials > NDMP Host,

Created a policy as you mentioned above, however, when I right click the NDMP Clients and select Host Properties, It returned a "can not create socket".

On the other hand , when I click manual backup from the right click of the policy, from the activity monitor, I can see the status is "Resource request failed 800"  and detail status is "2/10/2011 2:30:47 PM - Error nbjm(pid=544) NBU status: 800, EMM status: The host is not defined in EMM
resource request failed(800)"

Am I do somthing wrong?

Thanks

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

You wont be able to richt click on it because there isn't a client installed (and it can't be installed) on it. You can't browse the folders as you would a regular server. You need to supply the file list manually (get the volumes by logging into the filer).

What storage unit did you choose in the policy?

please post bpstulist, nbemmcmd -listhosts, and bppllist "policy name" -U

Charles_C
Level 4

Hi,

It seems OK now, should be the Case sensitive issue.

However, When I manually start the backup, the backup started for a while, may be 1-2 mins.

Then the status changed to Image Clean Up. Do you know what the problem is?

Before the clean up operation, I can see something have created in the destination disk but then disappeared several mins later.

In addition, I set the desintation to a Disk instead of Tape drive.

Thanks Very Much

RiaanBadenhorst

Image cleanup is a seperate job, what did the previous job finish with (status code). Please post the contents of the detailed status.

Charles_C
Level 4

2/10/2011 4:10:43 PM - requesting resource Pool1storage
2/10/2011 4:10:43 PM - requesting resource testing1_netbk.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.FS1
2/10/2011 4:10:43 PM - requesting resource testing1_netbk.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.NDMP
2/10/2011 4:10:43 PM - granted resource testing1_netbk.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.FS1
2/10/2011 4:10:43 PM - granted resource testing1_netbk.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.NDMP
2/10/2011 4:10:43 PM - granted resource MediaID=@aaaab;DiskVolume=D:\;DiskPool=Pool1;Path=D:\;StorageServer=testing1_netbk;MediaServer=testi...
2/10/2011 4:10:43 PM - granted resource Pool1storage
2/10/2011 4:10:44 PM - estimated 0 Kbytes needed
2/10/2011 4:10:45 PM - started process bpbrm (6132)
2/10/2011 4:10:45 PM - connecting
2/10/2011 4:10:45 PM - connected; connect time: 00:00:00
2/10/2011 4:10:49 PM - begin writing
2/10/2011 4:12:04 PM - Error ndmpagent(pid=5036) ndmp_data_connect_v3 failed, status = 23 (NDMP_CONNECT_ERR)      
2/10/2011 4:12:04 PM - Error ndmpagent(pid=5036) NDMP backup failed, path = \software      
2/10/2011 4:12:04 PM - Error ndmpagent(pid=5036) terminated by parent process        
2/10/2011 4:12:11 PM - end writing; write time: 00:01:22
termination requested by administrator(150)

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

That job was killed by an Administrator, and further to that, the path doesn't look right. Is \Storage what you specified in the policy's file list?

It should be something like, /vol/Software. Have you logged into the NAS console and checked the path? \ is for windows, / is for linux or unix (which your filer will be runnning)

Charles_C
Level 4

2/10/2011 4:14:50 PM - requesting resource Pool1storage
2/10/2011 4:14:50 PM - requesting resource testing1_netbk.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.FS1
2/10/2011 4:14:50 PM - requesting resource testing1_netbk.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.NDMP
2/10/2011 4:14:50 PM - granted resource testing1_netbk.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.FS1
2/10/2011 4:14:50 PM - granted resource testing1_netbk.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.NDMP
2/10/2011 4:14:50 PM - granted resource MediaID=@aaaab;DiskVolume=D:\;DiskPool=Pool1;Path=D:\;StorageServer=testing1_netbk;MediaServer=testi...
2/10/2011 4:14:50 PM - granted resource Pool1storage
2/10/2011 4:14:51 PM - estimated 0 Kbytes needed
2/10/2011 4:14:51 PM - started process bpbrm (5184)
2/10/2011 4:14:52 PM - connecting
2/10/2011 4:14:52 PM - connected; connect time: 00:00:00
2/10/2011 4:14:56 PM - begin writing
2/10/2011 4:16:11 PM - Error ndmpagent(pid=2460) ndmp_data_connect_v3 failed, status = 23 (NDMP_CONNECT_ERR)      
2/10/2011 4:16:11 PM - Error ndmpagent(pid=2460) NDMP backup failed, path = \software      
2/10/2011 4:16:17 PM - end writing; write time: 00:01:21
NDMP backup failure(99) 

RiaanBadenhorst

please post bpplist "policy name" -U

Charles_C
Level 4

Sorry, I don't know why I can not execute the command which you gave,

The Netbackup I installed in a windows platform, can not run the command in the bin.

Thanks

RiaanBadenhorst

Sorry, I missed an "L"

bppllist "policy name' -U

Charles_C
Level 4

Hi,

Finally, the backup policy is ok, and the backup seems work.

I set the storage unit as the "Basic Disk" local harddisk of the netbackup server.

I can see there are several files created on the local harddisk,

However, I can not test if the backup is work because when I start the "Backup, Archieve, Restore". The system prompted no backup has ran on the system. Any Idea?

On the other hand, I try to back up some files on the other PC, created a policy and use the same "Basic Disk" as the storage unit, however, the backup has failed due to the connection problem of the PC and the netbackup server. Do I need to create some login credential first as the PC is a windows system may need a password for accessing. Any Idea?

Thanks