Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

NetbackupServer v6.5.4 can not backup v12.5 CPS backup destination directories

Roger_Sager
Level 4
Hi folks...

First some background...

We are on Solaris 8 and I was running Netbackup Server 5.1 MP6. We also had Continuous Protection Server (CPS) which comes with the Window's version of BackupExec 11d. I was using this 11d version of CPS/CMS on a Window 2003 server to replicate common Windows files for 5 remote file server. This was working fine (altho there was problems with the snapshots in CPS freezing and not working....which was part of a Case with Symatec for well over 1 year that never got solved)...anyways...we move CPS to v12.5 on a Window 2008 64-bit server and started the process all over to protect (via replicating changes from the same remote server up to our Sydney office CPS/CMS server (12.5). With this change, however, I was forced to upgrade Netbackup Server v5.1 MP6 to v6.5.4 as this new version knows about Window 2008 server and the previous NBU 5.1 did not!

However, the old NBU v5.1 had no problem doing Incremental, Cumulative or Full backups of the 11d CPS backup destinations directories on a nigthly basis, when the CPS services were running and the replication was active. But there is something wrong with the new version of NBU 6.5.4 as the policy to perform the same type of CPS backup of the backup destination directories runs to a status of 0, but no files are actually backed up.
The CPS snapshots feature on the backup destinations are run the very same as under CPS 11d -  every 3 hours for a 12 hour period (i.e. 7 am to 7 pm) Monday-Friday.  Each backup destination snapshot is offset but 1/2 hour, so that, there is only 1 snapshot created by CPS calling VSS at any one time.   Netbackup in the newest version has difficulty backing up any files why CPS/CMS is running....which never happened under the previous versions of NBU and CPS.

All the CMS jobs are in continuous mode, so my current work around is to create a few scheduled tasks on the Windows 2008 CPS/CMS media server to stop all the CPS services to allow this Netbackup policy to execute (for up to 6 hours for a full ) backup onto tape, then restart the CPS services after that, which puts all CPS jobs into Syncing mode again for hours, as these jobs are throttled to a bandwidth of 64 kb/sec. 

Any one else have a similar issue?
Cheers
Roger
rsager@auscott.com.au
0 REPLIES 0