cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Master Server

Inventino
Level 4
Partner Accredited
I've Netbackup 7.6 Master server. There is no any media server.
I've planed to change new hardware with
1. fresh os install
2. fresh netbackup master server and same netbackup version
3. diff server name and ip
4. used exisiting tape library and tape cartridge
5. create policy, volumn pool and tape label name same as exisiting netbackup server

Question:
Q1. In case need to restore data(at new netbackup server) from existing tape media. How to do?

Q2. Due to the all existing tape label name have been edited the label name. Does I need to setup all tape label name on new server?

Q3. On new netbackup server, Can I overwrite existing tape media that already expire? If cannot, How to erase or expire media?
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Inventino,

I'm sure you know that NetBackup 7.6 is end of support life and Veritas no longer provides support or updates for this version.  NetBackup 7.6 reached end of support life in February 2017.  I would highly recommend upgrading to a supported version ASAP.  I am assuming your Master server is AIX based on the tags in your post.  If so, please be aware that NetBackup 8.1.1 is the last version of NetBackup to support AIX as a Master or Media server.  AIX is supported as a client post 8.1.1.

Although you say you only have a Master server and no Media Server, you actually do have a Media server.  You will be running a Master server that also includes the Media server role.  Without a Media server, NetBackup would not work.

With regards to your additional points:

2. It needs to be the same NetBackup version (including any EEB's that you currently have installed), and it must be installed in the same path as your prior server.

3. You  can have a different IP address, but the name of the Master must remain the same.  If you want to change the Master server name, you will need to engage NetBackup consultants who are certified in the use of CatMan tools (Catalog Manipulation).  That is the only supported method of changing the Master's name.  If you search this forum, or do a google search for NetBackup catman, you should be able to find one in your area.  Having said that, I suspect that they would want you to be on a supported version of NetBackup first.  I would look at re-establishing your support contract and upgrading to a minimum of 7.7.3 (preferably 8.x) before moving forward on the new server.

4. You can re-use the existing tape libray and cartridges.  If you do a full catalog recovery on the new Master, the EMM database should contain this.  You will of course have to run the device configuration wizard to ensure it sees the library and drives and everything looks good.

5. All of this should be restored with a full catalog recovery.

Q1. If you are talking about data from existing tapes, that will be possible once you have recovered the catalog.  If you are talking about recovering your catalog from tape, then you need to make sure you have set up a catalog backup, including the Disaster Recovery file on your old server.  The DR info will include details of what tape(s) contain the catalog.

Q2. Once you have recovered the catalog on the new Master, all your pre-existing tapes should be available.

Q3. Expiry dates of media are part of the catalog and so those will be transferred as well.

Hope this helps,

Steve

View solution in original post

Genericus
   VIP   

How long do you keep data/tapes?

If you do not keep them long, you can install like new and just start on your new master, regardless of name, until the old tapes expire. You will just have two environments.

Depending on how many you have, you can duplicate data from the old master to the new master as well.

The downside of this is you cannot restore the catalog, which means rebuilding the entire environment.

I have updated my master 3 times, from HP to Solaris and upgraded Solaris to newer hardware - I have always kept the master name - it makes it so much easier...

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Inventino,

I'm sure you know that NetBackup 7.6 is end of support life and Veritas no longer provides support or updates for this version.  NetBackup 7.6 reached end of support life in February 2017.  I would highly recommend upgrading to a supported version ASAP.  I am assuming your Master server is AIX based on the tags in your post.  If so, please be aware that NetBackup 8.1.1 is the last version of NetBackup to support AIX as a Master or Media server.  AIX is supported as a client post 8.1.1.

Although you say you only have a Master server and no Media Server, you actually do have a Media server.  You will be running a Master server that also includes the Media server role.  Without a Media server, NetBackup would not work.

With regards to your additional points:

2. It needs to be the same NetBackup version (including any EEB's that you currently have installed), and it must be installed in the same path as your prior server.

3. You  can have a different IP address, but the name of the Master must remain the same.  If you want to change the Master server name, you will need to engage NetBackup consultants who are certified in the use of CatMan tools (Catalog Manipulation).  That is the only supported method of changing the Master's name.  If you search this forum, or do a google search for NetBackup catman, you should be able to find one in your area.  Having said that, I suspect that they would want you to be on a supported version of NetBackup first.  I would look at re-establishing your support contract and upgrading to a minimum of 7.7.3 (preferably 8.x) before moving forward on the new server.

4. You can re-use the existing tape libray and cartridges.  If you do a full catalog recovery on the new Master, the EMM database should contain this.  You will of course have to run the device configuration wizard to ensure it sees the library and drives and everything looks good.

5. All of this should be restored with a full catalog recovery.

Q1. If you are talking about data from existing tapes, that will be possible once you have recovered the catalog.  If you are talking about recovering your catalog from tape, then you need to make sure you have set up a catalog backup, including the Disaster Recovery file on your old server.  The DR info will include details of what tape(s) contain the catalog.

Q2. Once you have recovered the catalog on the new Master, all your pre-existing tapes should be available.

Q3. Expiry dates of media are part of the catalog and so those will be transferred as well.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Genericus
   VIP   

How long do you keep data/tapes?

If you do not keep them long, you can install like new and just start on your new master, regardless of name, until the old tapes expire. You will just have two environments.

Depending on how many you have, you can duplicate data from the old master to the new master as well.

The downside of this is you cannot restore the catalog, which means rebuilding the entire environment.

I have updated my master 3 times, from HP to Solaris and upgraded Solaris to newer hardware - I have always kept the master name - it makes it so much easier...

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS