cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Media Server issues

DCraige
Level 3

I’ve installed NetBackup 7.1 as a media server on a server at our DR site.  When I open the console on the media server, I get the following message:

The current user “administrator” or the current local host do not have NetBackup administrative privileged on the host “<master server name>”.

When I click OK I see the master server, but I can’t see any of the sub groups (policies, hosts etc) below.

I added the media server to the master server prior to installing NetBackup on the media server and restarted the appropriate services as specified in the Admin guide.  I even rebooted the master server.   I can pull up the properties of the media server from the master server.

I am trying to add a media server to keep a copy of the catalog and have it ready in the event of a DR situation and the master server is unavailable.  We can begin to restore data from tapes using this DR server.

I need to see the tape drive that is connected to this new media server. Then I would like to copy the catalog to this server and begin some test restores using this media server and tape drive.

4 REPLIES 4

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

There are some issues with your'e plan.

When doing DR import's you need a master server, a media server does not hold the for Netbackup very important EMM database. Also, you can't promote a media server to master server.

You make find this PDF interesting, chapter 3:

www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3678

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree with Nicolai - you need a 'standby' master. A media server at the DR site won't help. You need the master server for the EMM and images database.

Please have a look at this document:

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/white_papers/b-whitepaper_implementing_highly_available_dr_with_veritas_netbackup_01_08_13599373.pdf

jrguzmanr
Level 3

log on a server on which you can access the master thru the admin console.  go to host properties of the master and select "Servers".   There are two sections:  "Additional Servers" and "Media Servers".  Your media server should be in both sections.  if it's only in the media servers section, you will encounter what you are experiencing.

edit:  I just re-read your post.   This reply is only to be able to get the admin console running on the media server.  It will not help you if you need a restore in case of the master is unavailable.

DCraige
Level 3

Ok.  So it looks like I need a standby master server so I'll need to reinstall NetBackup on the DR server.  After reviewing both documents that were posted, it seems we need to configure "Recovery without import" or "Partial Catalog Recovery".

We currently have our Online Catalog policy backup the policy and have the DR path configured so the file is save to a folder on our file server.  This file server is on the same LAN as the master server.  I am thinking that we can use Robocopy to copy these files each night to the master server at the DR server.  Would this be enough to recover the catalog and begin restoring data?  Or should I configure a nightly catalog backup job and duplicate these images along with the images of the other backup policies?

Also, we would like to perform a test restore using the DR master server.  It is my understanding that I will have to rename the DR master server the same name as the production server in order to test our DR strategy.  So basically I plan to shut down the production master server and rename the DR master server and perform the test restores.  Then revert everything back after I confirm its success.  Is this the best method in this situation?

Thank you all for your help!