cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Media Server

H_Sharma
Level 6

Hello Experts,

We need to add one media server in our environment. Problem is we have 500-600 clients (Windows & Linux)

How can we add this new media server on clients list. So that name resolution issue does not happen?

Thanks & Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Try this:

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=add_media_server_on_clients

Or did you mean that you want to add a hosts file entry to all clients?  If so, there is no NetBackup native command for that.  But do you know 100% definitely that all clients have the same hosts file entries?  If so, then you could try to automate a restore of the "hosts" file to all clients - but this would be dangerous without knowing for sure, and could break things even more.  Maybe your tools/deployment team have a scripted solution to update the hosts file on all machines.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

PatS729
Level 5

Hi

Open Host Properties -- Clients --- Select all the clients that you need --- Right Click -- Properties ---- Add Media Server to Clients Server list.

It do it very often for my many clients. :) I hope it will work for you too....

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Try this:

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=add_media_server_on_clients

Or did you mean that you want to add a hosts file entry to all clients?  If so, there is no NetBackup native command for that.  But do you know 100% definitely that all clients have the same hosts file entries?  If so, then you could try to automate a restore of the "hosts" file to all clients - but this would be dangerous without knowing for sure, and could break things even more.  Maybe your tools/deployment team have a scripted solution to update the hosts file on all machines.

NBU35
Level 6

Best way is to use DNS for resolution.. add new media server's entry in DNS servers to avoid name resolution issues at OS level.

If you have to add entry to bp.conf of every client, then run following command on your new media server

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/add_media_server_on_clients

Refer to this TN:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH48402

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hey

I do know the pain ... especially if some clients do know your master via one name while the others via yet another name (ie to route backup via different networks).

What I did recently I put together such thing on ours AIX master/media server, I am having a script to which I do pass a client name $1 var. Then I am gathering from this client its currently defined servers, then to this configuration I am adding the contents of file servers_to_add (which syntax is SERVER=new_media_server one by line or MEDIA_SERVER = xxxx depending on your requirements), then the new configuration is uploaded to that client.

Please test it in your env priror to doing this against all clients ....

Updating clients with new media servers:

#!/usr/bin/ksh

echo getting configuration from $1

bpgetconfig -M $1 |grep -e "^SERVER =" -e "^MEDIA_SERVER =" > source_config_$1

cat source_config_$1 servers_to_add >> new_config_$1

echo updating configuration on $1

bpsetconfig -h $1 new_config_$1

Hi,

Thanks all for the soultions.

Is this command add_media_server_on_clients for all clients say( Linux, Windows and other  OS)?

Is it compatiable with 7.x  later all versions? 

That is the command I use every time I add a new Media Server and I've never had a problem. It's been successful for me on Windows and Linux clients 6.5 - 7.7