cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Media showing up as DLT

morbid-BMX-Co
Level 4

Hello again folks,

It has been a wee while since I pestered you all for advice but Im afraid that time has come again. Everytime I have posted something here the issue is normally rectified quickly by you good people so here goes...

A member of our team had to attend 2 sites (Onyx and Scolocate) and label 80 tapes which had duplicate barcodes. The issue is the new labels arrived but had L3 at the end of the barcode whereas all the other tapes in the robots have L4 or L5 at the end. The tapes have been labelled up and we put 30 into the Onyx Library which seem to have been picked up fine and are showing as HCART3, like every other tape in the library and are being used.

The other 50 tapes were put into the Scolcate library but after the inventory was done the new scratch tapes are showing as media type "DLT" and have not been touched. I have read another tech note which mentions adding new rules using the vmchange command but it was not very comprehensive so can any of you legends elaborate on this process for me?

Thans in advance :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

When there is more than one media type in the robot and media is not same density as the tape drives, the new media will default to robot type.

Best to delete all DLT media, add barcode rules for new tapes (cannot use L3 or L4 suffix, need to have unique starting characters) with appropriate density, and then rerun Inventory.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

When there is more than one media type in the robot and media is not same density as the tape drives, the new media will default to robot type.

Best to delete all DLT media, add barcode rules for new tapes (cannot use L3 or L4 suffix, need to have unique starting characters) with appropriate density, and then rerun Inventory.

morbid-BMX-Co
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

I got round this issue by using the following command:

./vmchange -new_mt hcart3 -m <tape ID>

Although this worked it was like taking 'the scenic route' and I have since encountered the same issue in another environment so I applied your ethos and it worked a treat.

I will give you the credit as it is a much easier and quicker way to go about it and future proofs you in the event of new tapes.

Thanks again, your advice is always sound!