cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New NetBackup 7 Media Server - Unable to connect to Master Server

Kwinter
Level 5

Hi,

I just installed NetBackup 7.01 on a Win2008R2 system and during the configuration/installation I entered the master server's name; but when I tried to load the admin console, it will not load / connect to the master server.

Any ideas?

thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Can you ping the media server from the master and the master server from the media server?

If not, resolve that from an OS level by adding the hostname/IP into the hosts file.

If you can ping them, add the media server to the server list on the Master server, via Host Properties -> Master server -> master_hostname

Also add the media server to EMM using:

For UNIX Media servers:

# cd /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd

# nbemmcmd -addhost -machinename <media_hostname> -machinetype media -masterserver <master_hostname> -operatingsystem <os> -netbackupversion <version>

For Windows Media Servers:

% cd <install_path>\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\admincmd

% nbemmcmd -addhost -machinename <media_hostname> -machinetype media -masterserver <master_hostname> -operatingsystem <os> -netbackupversion <version>

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Kwinter
Level 5

Error message:

Unable to connect to the selected NetBackup host "master00"

1.  make sure the user "kwinter" has privileges on the host.

2.  Make sure the local host is listed in the server list of the destination host "master00"

3  Make sure there is a valied network connection.

4.  Check authentication.

5.  Make sure all the services are running on the host.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

2008 R2 .... Firewall enabled by default ... UAC turned on by default ..... AHHHH!!!!

OK - so first open the console by right click and Run As Administrator

If that doesn't work check that your firewall is turned off and try again

You need local admin rights to run the console as well as full communication

Hope this helps

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Have you added the media server to the server list on the master server?

Also on the master server, if you run: nbemmcmd -listhosts

does the new media server show up in that list? Check those and report back.

Kwinter
Level 5

Thanks Mark_solutions.

I did turn off UAC and I disable all firewalls on this windows 2008r2 box.  And try the right-click run as administrator, but it didn't work.

I just uninstalled the 7.01 and trying loging as our service account for netbackup and reinstall.

Let you know if that helps.  I should be able to see the new media server in the admin console from the master server as the software install is finishing?  Right?

thanks again.

Kwinter
Level 5

Hi Revaroo,

I did try to add the media server to the server list on the master server, but it said that it could not find it.  And it did not show up in the "listhosts".

thanks Revaroo.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If in doubt open up the Master Server Host Properties - go to the Servers section and add the new server in to both the Media Server and Addition Servers section - then restart NetBackup on the Master

Also make sure that it get resolved properly in both directions (short name or FQDN?)

Then try again (did you add the master using the correct name - short or FQDN)?

Hope this helps

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Can you ping the media server from the master and the master server from the media server?

If not, resolve that from an OS level by adding the hostname/IP into the hosts file.

If you can ping them, add the media server to the server list on the Master server, via Host Properties -> Master server -> master_hostname

Also add the media server to EMM using:

For UNIX Media servers:

# cd /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd

# nbemmcmd -addhost -machinename <media_hostname> -machinetype media -masterserver <master_hostname> -operatingsystem <os> -netbackupversion <version>

For Windows Media Servers:

% cd <install_path>\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\admincmd

% nbemmcmd -addhost -machinename <media_hostname> -machinetype media -masterserver <master_hostname> -operatingsystem <os> -netbackupversion <version>

Kwinter
Level 5

good sugguestions.

after i added the system name into the master server properties:

(1) Master server, via Host Properties -> Master server -> master_hostname
     (under the "additional servers" and as "Media servers")

and

(2) nbemmcmd -addhost -machinename <media_hostname> -machinetype media -masterserver <master_hostname> -operatingsystem <os> -netbackupversion <version>

(3) restarted the services on the master server

Tested and it WORKED !!!   :)    Thank you all !!!!

-Keith

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Keith, thanks for letting us know the solution. It's always nice to know what the fix was.

All the best.