cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Policy for Oracle RMAN database backups

npolite
Level 5

Hi All,

I'm setting up a new policy for a differnent part of the business. The only requirment is to keep every daily database backups for 2 months. We will take the backups offsite weekly. So I think I will need two different schedules which are tied to two different media pools.I was thinking of setting up a differential policy but if it we need the full backup, it'll keep creating one every two months.

Would it work best to acomplish this? Maybe creating two folders on the database server for alternating weeks. On Sunday's database backup, it would delete everything in the folder before starting the backup. Sunday night I would have a full backup run for the Sunday backup and then differentials throughout the week.

If I haven't stated anything clearly please let me know.

Thanks,

Nick

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I'm battling to understand why you think you need 2 schedules if : 

The only requirment is to keep every daily database backups for 2 months. 

A single policy with Full schedule and 2 month retention should be sufficient?

Also battling to understand this: 

Maybe creating two folders on the database server for alternating weeks. On Sunday's database backup, it would delete everything in the folder before starting the backup. Sunday night I would have a full backup run for the Sunday backup and then differentials throughout the week.

How exactly are you doing Oracle backups?
NBU agent for 1-step backup and restore?
Or 2-step process with rman backup to local disk followed by 'Standard' NBU backup?

2-step backups are 'messy' IMHO.
Then you would probably need 2 schedules for Full backup over a weekend and Diff or Cumm Inc backup during the week. All with 2 month retention. 

Hi Marianne,

I need two schedules so the backups drop in different media pools. After week 1 is complete I need to take the tapes offsite and don't want them written to during week 2. 

We RMAN backup to local disk first instead of directly to tape. We have terrabyte backups that would just take the entire day to backup to the Netbackup server. Only have 1Gb network.

Yep so looks like what I was thinking will need to happen.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Nick