cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New enterprise client can't connect to the existing Master Server

Rookies
Level 4

Hi Everyone,

I have finish installing 1 new enterprise client.

The version of installer is 7.5. Current version installed on the existing master is 7.5.0.5.

Host entries are updated for both host master (Solaris) & the new enterprise client server (Win2k8R2).

From both Master server to the new enterprise client server can ping each other.

Port 13724 & 1556 are open and can telnet to each other.

But the problem is the new enterprise client server still unable to connect to the existing master server.

The message prompt someting like this "Failed to determine the version of master server"

Besides the 2 ports what other port that need to open?

What am I missing that lead to this failure??

indecision

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

However I still try to figure out how to setup a SAN media server.  

As per my post dated 2 October:

A San Media Server is configured exactly the same as any other media server:

Add SERVER (or MEDIA SERVER) entry to the master, install server software on the client, choosing Media Server option during installation, followed by creating devices for it (if tape, run Device Config Wizard on the master server and select the client/san media server) create a Storage Unit with 'on demand only' option selected (this is the only difference between full media server and san media server config), and then add a policy for this client where it's own STU is selected.

There is really nothing more to it....

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

what actaully you are referring as "enterprise client"?

is that the SAN client? or trying to enable any other feature comes with enterprise client license?

rk1074
Level 6
Partner

for the correct port settings, refer to the below link:

Rookies
Level 4
Its Client Enterprise Server license. i want this server backup its data to itself. Yes It is SAN client.

Rookies
Level 4
Both port 1556 & 13724 are open & can telnet to each other. Ping also successful from each other.

Marianne
Have you added SERVER entry on the master for new W2008 server? And restarted NBU? Please show us output of these commands on the master and indicate which one is the new Ent Client: nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose nbemmcmd -getemmserver

RamNagalla

Rookies,

if you want its to take its own backup, thats going to be a SAN media server.

if it is a SAN client you there should be a FT media server to take the backup of it..

however.. 

lets see the communication issue first...

where you are getting this message  "Failed to determine the version of master server"

what is the bptestbpcd -client <mediaservername> -verbose -debug form the master server

Rookies
Level 4

Hi Mariane,

Do you mean entry to the host file for master server?

Yes. i have added to the host entry on both existing master server and the new enterprise client server.

I will show you the output later.

Rookies
Level 4

Yes it is SAN media server. I install using Enterprise Client Server. Different from Standard Client.

I will show you the output later.

I have never configure FT media server. But i'm not recommended to apply this features as the SCSI commands are required to configure this. But appreciate if you can share what are the advantages of this type of media server.

Marianne

No, not only hosts file - you need to add this new san media server as SERVER or MEDIA_SERVER to the master's bp.conf, followed by restart of NBU on the master.

RamNagalla

last time what you did might be for the client..

but now what you are doing is Media server.

so updating the bp.conf on the master server with the New server entry is the mandatory process of media server installtion/configuration 

and also media server bp.conf should have the master server and EMM server entires.

Marianne

If you have installed media server software using Enterprise Client License and want to configure this machine to backup itself to locallay/san attached tape and/or disk, you need to add it as SERVER or MEDIA_SERVER to the master - either through the GUI, or by editing the bp.conf or by using nbemmcmd command.
There is no other way.....

Rookies
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

Last time I just installed & configured with standard procedure without apend/editing the bp.conf for other media server and everything is ok.

Is there any certain situation (network issue, security issue, dns issue) that require me to manually add to master server bp.conf?

Appreciate if you can share on how to configure SAN media server.

Rookies
Level 4

Hi Nagala\Marianne,

Last time what i hv configured is 1 standard master server and 2 standard media servers. once i have finished installed the 2 media servers, both media servers show up from administration console (GUI) of the master server without editing the bpconf at all.

It shows from media server list and the client list. Even from the media server administration console i can see the the other media server and master server.

By the way, do i need to add this license on the master server also? currently i just add the license to the new enterprise client server only.

Marianne

Last time I just installed & configured with standard procedure 

Not sure what you mean by standard procedure.

A San Media Server is configured exactly the same as any other media server:

Add SERVER (or MEDIA SERVER) entry to the master, install server software on the client, choosing Media Server option during installation, followed by creating devices for it (if tape, run Device Config Wizard on the master server and select the client/san media server) create a Storage Unit with 'on demand only' option selected (this is the only difference between full media server and san media server config), and then add a policy for this client where it's own STU is selected.

Please believe me - there is NO way you can config this W2008 client as san media server without SERVER entry on the master.

SAN Client is different - here the normal client software is installed and the client is configured as Fiber Transport Client backing up to a Fiber Transport Media Server.

See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH135896 
What is the difference between the SAN Media Server and SAN Client features?

Rookies
Level 4

Standard procedure - i mean i added the media server through nbu administration console(GUI)

Do I need to install the Enterprise client server license on both master server and the new client server? currently i only register the license to the new client server (SAN media server).

Marianne

Yes, as per my post above - adding a SERVER through the GUI is one of the ways. Doing so will update the Master's bp.conf. NBU on master needs to be restarted to activate this new entry.

If you want to use additional Enterprise Client features (such as Snapshot Client, FlashBackup, etc) you need to add the license key to the master as well. Otherwise, on San Media Server only.

If San Media server will backup to robotic tape, you need to add Library Based Tape Drive license as well. If tape drives are shared, you will also need SSO license.

Rookies
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

I have check that there are no any storage attached to the servers. I wonder why they purchase Enterprise Client Server license for the new two servers but referring to the user, they just want to add new backup for the two servers to the existing NetBackup master server and use one of the existing media servers. Then I just configure new policy for each servers...

Marianne

Enterprise Client includes all of these features:

Snapshot Client
SAN Media Server
VMware backups
Hyper-V backups

What software is installed on these clients? Client or Server software?

If only client backups are needed and only Client software is installed, this entire thread becomes a 'non issue', right?

Rookies
Level 4

Its a client software. They only want to backup the entire file sytem only.

However I still try to figure out how to setup a SAN media server.