cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install of NBU 7.5 and console not working

danhatt
Level 4

Hi:

I have just installed NBU 7.5 and cannot get the Admin Console to connect to the Master Server.

Details:

New Windows 2008 R2 Server wirh new install of NBU 7.5. Admin Console works on Server. No media servers installed as of yet.

Windows 7 workstation with new install of Windows NBU Admin Console.  I also have the java console for our UNIX environment installed.

Error message: Unable to retrieve version of the server

I found the "Administrative console will not open on a newly installed media server" post and ran the commands to check the communications in both directions.

The bpclntcmd -hn <remote-host-name> and bpclntcmd -ip <remote-host-IP> on the W7 macjine sort of matched. -hn returned the FQDN (master.xxx.xxx).

The -ip only returned the server name (master).

The same occurred on the server except it was the workstation.

-hn FQDN (workstation.xxx.xxx)

-ip workstation name (workstation)

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

danhatt
Level 4

Marianne:

See attached file for complete log.

I noted that the following in the log:

08:17:13.539 [3748.5844] <2> bpcd peer_hostname: Connection from host WorkStation.d07.dot.yy.xxx (10.56.102.149) port 49508
08:17:13.539 [3748.5844] <2> bpcd valid_server: comparing MasterServer.t7-ntservers.d07.dot.yy.xxx and WorkStation.d07.dot.yy.xxx
08:17:13.539 [3748.5844] <4> bpcd valid_server: WorkStation.d07.dot.yy.xxx is not a master server
08:17:13.539 [3748.5844] <16> bpcd valid_server: WorkStation.d07.dot.yy.xxx is not a media server either

It appears NBU console will not connect because WorkStation is not a master server or a media server. I installed justthe console on WorkStation. Or does it have to do with the FQDN?

Thanks.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Add server entries for FQDN as well - on workstation for master and on master for workstation.

danhatt
Level 4

WE had a reverse dns issue that has been resolved. The command results match: FQDN for each direction on both machines. Rebooted both after clearing cache. However still getting the same error. Reinstall console?

danhatt
Level 4

After taking care of the DNS issue I made entries into the host file on both the Master Server and my workstation.  That did not resolve the issue.  Neither did a new installation where I went into the directory with the install files, rather than using the "browser" and installed everything as an administrator.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

DAN

Altimate1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi, Isn't it a matter of simply adding new server to authorized list in the master properties?

Regards

Marianne

Please create the following directories on the master server under .....\netbackup\logs:

bpcd
admin

Please try to connect again.

See if anything is logged in bpcd and/or admin folders on the master.
If so, please rename those files to reflect the process name (e.g admin.txt) and post as attachments.

danhatt
Level 4

Marianne:

See attached file for complete log.

I noted that the following in the log:

08:17:13.539 [3748.5844] <2> bpcd peer_hostname: Connection from host WorkStation.d07.dot.yy.xxx (10.56.102.149) port 49508
08:17:13.539 [3748.5844] <2> bpcd valid_server: comparing MasterServer.t7-ntservers.d07.dot.yy.xxx and WorkStation.d07.dot.yy.xxx
08:17:13.539 [3748.5844] <4> bpcd valid_server: WorkStation.d07.dot.yy.xxx is not a master server
08:17:13.539 [3748.5844] <16> bpcd valid_server: WorkStation.d07.dot.yy.xxx is not a media server either

It appears NBU console will not connect because WorkStation is not a master server or a media server. I installed justthe console on WorkStation. Or does it have to do with the FQDN?

Thanks.

danhatt
Level 4

The hint came from the fact that 1. NBU was stating the WorkStation was not a server of either tyoe and 2. The FQDNs were different.

I edited the registry on the Master Server (HKLM\software\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\Server)

I added an entry for the WorkStation as it was called in the log file.

Thanks for the help.  I could not have solved it otherwise.

Marianne

Glad we could point you in the right direction!

Seems the master server did not have a secondary SERVER entry for WorkStation.d07.dot.yy.xxx (had only one entry for itself?).

Please select the post that has helped you most and Mark As Solution.

danhatt
Level 4

Thanks!!