cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New minor Issue found with 7.0 upgrade

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I upgraded from 6.5.5 to 7.0.1 (aix master)

I just found that the upgrade REMOVED (or just did not put back) my Media ID Generation Rule.

So when I inject new tapes for the first time, my generation was using 3:4:5:6:7:8   where I wanted 1:2:3:4:5:6

So I have had to freeze those tapes until they expire so I can delete them and re-add them with the rule in place.

So Just a warning if you have upgrade to 7.x  check that your Media Id Generation Rule is in place.

(I would really like to know if this only happened on AIX masters, or if it also happened on other unix and windows masters)

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Doesn't seem as if there are lots of users on this forum that have upgraded AIX masters recently... The upgrades that I were involved with recently did not have Media ID Generation Rules in place. Will certainly keep an eye out... (I work for a reseller and we have lots of customer that still need to upgrade.)

Please log a call with Symantec? It should be easy enough for them to reproduce the problem.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

Because I remembered - Something I have found is that the Media ID Generation rule is SAVED on the system you run the console on.

So in my environment I have 3 media servers with the console (some of my people use the console on those just because it is easier then to install the console on their PC - they don't use it much)  But 2 of us have it on our PC.

I went to the three media servers and saw it was missing, recreated it, and had someone else log in and look.  they said it was there.  I had to do that to all 3 SAN media servers.

Then for the two of us that user our PC's,  well it was gone as well when we upgraded the console.  We both had to recreate it.  Even though I had recreated it already on the media servers (but the masters kept the info after the upgrade)

So the issue would be  - to have Netbackup SAVE IT ON THE MASTER! AND READ IT FROM THE MASTER.  I don't know why they have it configured to save local to the console.

(none of my people use the java except when we run from the master and I am the only one who does that and not very often)

If you run the JAVA does it also save it to the local drive?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I ONLY use Java when managing Unix masters - no need for SERVER entries and all config is saved on the Master.