cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New tape drives to be added in a SSO environment

cc1702004
Level 4

Hi,

I need help. We have a backup infrastructure configured with SSO tape drives. The SSO was configured by vendor. We are getting new tape drives. I have no idea how to add these new tape drives to the SSO.

Current Environment

Netbackup 7.1.0.2

One Solaris Master server

Three Linux media server

Two Windows 2008 media server

Would appreciate someone can give me an idea how to setup the tape drives to the servers so that Netbackup can recognise them especially for the Solaris master and also to add the tape drives to the SSO. I urgently need help as I have little clue what to do. I have little time and struggle to read/understand different documents.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Ensure the drivers are zoned to the servers you want to add them to. Those servers MUST ALL have SSO license enabled!

Then you configure the drives in the OS (For Solaris using devfsadm or reboot reconfiguration)

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/scan or sgscan  - if this does not see the new drives you may need to rebuild the SG drivers:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH71073

Once done just configure the drives using: /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpautoconf -a

Good luck.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Ensure the drivers are zoned to the servers you want to add them to. Those servers MUST ALL have SSO license enabled!

Then you configure the drives in the OS (For Solaris using devfsadm or reboot reconfiguration)

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/scan or sgscan  - if this does not see the new drives you may need to rebuild the SG drivers:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH71073

Once done just configure the drives using: /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpautoconf -a

Good luck.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In addition to above excellent post, a reboot may be necessary on all servers to see new devices at OS level.

On Windows servers, see if new tape drives are seen in Device Manager. They may be listed as Unknown devices. This means that you need to download tape drivers from the manufacturer's web site and install.
If by any chance these are IBM tape drives, have a look in NBU HCL and look for this topic:
"IBM Tape Driver Support"
Once drivers are installed (may need another reboot), use scan command to ensure the drives are seen and that they respond to scsi-commands.
Command is in <install-path>\veritas\volmgr\bin.

On Linux servers, use /proc/scsi/scsi command to ensure drives are seen at OS level.
Use /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/scan command to ensure drives respond to scsi-commands.

On Solaris server, this is the process I use to rebuild the sg drivers:
recreate /dev/sg/* on solaris 10 without reboot

Once master and all media servers can see all the drives with scan command, you are ready to add these drives to NBU.

Start the Device Configuration wizard - click on Configure Storage Devices in the Admin console.

Select the master and all media servers and follow the prompts.
All of the servers will be scanned. Ensure all drives are seen by the wizard.
Complete the wizard config and allow services to be restarted.

Update Storage Units for all media servers.
If new drive types were added, you need to add additional STU for each media server. This is normally done as final step of Device Config Wizard.

Good luck!