cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New tape library install on existing media server which is alredy connected to other LTO5

RaymT___
Level 4

Hello All,

We have 1 master and 1 media server all Linux which is connected with LTO 5 tape library currently.

Planing to replace the LTO5 with LTO7.

May i know how to configure the new library in exsiting media server which is alredy configured with LTO 5.

can we configure 2 library in one media server? slowly LTO5 will decom later from the media server.

if yes..will be any performance issue?

Kindly advise.

Thanks.!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can you please confirm the following:

Are you adding a new robot with LTO7 drives?
Or adding additional (LTO7) tape drives to existing robot with LTO5 drives?

You can do both with NBU - add new robot and new drives or just new drives in existing robot.

Your only limitation will be physical connectivity - you really do not want to zone too many devices to same hba and most media servers cannot really use more than about 4 drives simultaneously and still ensure good performance.

View solution in original post

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

That is fine, (taking into account Mariannes excellent point about no drivers on a media server).  Just configure the new library as normal.

Although the new drives are in a seperate library, you may wish to make them and the media a different density (hcart, hcart2 etc ) than the LTO5 library, purely so it is a bit easier to spot which tapes are which.  It's optional, you would only /have/ to do this if the new drives were in the same library as the LTO5s.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can you please confirm the following:

Are you adding a new robot with LTO7 drives?
Or adding additional (LTO7) tape drives to existing robot with LTO5 drives?

You can do both with NBU - add new robot and new drives or just new drives in existing robot.

Your only limitation will be physical connectivity - you really do not want to zone too many devices to same hba and most media servers cannot really use more than about 4 drives simultaneously and still ensure good performance.

Plan to replace the current lto5 tape library(MSL6060) from the media server, before the same media server need to configure with new lto7( tl4000)tape library after configured slowly move all backup to new lto 7 tape library.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

That is fine, (taking into account Mariannes excellent point about no drivers on a media server).  Just configure the new library as normal.

Although the new drives are in a seperate library, you may wish to make them and the media a different density (hcart, hcart2 etc ) than the LTO5 library, purely so it is a bit easier to spot which tapes are which.  It's optional, you would only /have/ to do this if the new drives were in the same library as the LTO5s.

so i can configure new lto7 library in existing media server which is already connected with lto5 and slowly i can decom the lto5.

Thanks you so much..

So i can configure new lto7 library in existing media server which is already connected with lto5 and slowly i can decom the lto5.

Thanks you so much..

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yep, just configure away and have a god day ....