cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to NDMP and Confused.

Scott_Gibbons
Level 4
Good Morning,
I have a Netapp filer that i am trying to backup via NDMP (Three Way)
I have 1 PX506 with 2 LTO 3 drives. I understand 1 Drive has to be dedicated to NDMP and I am ok with that. My question is. Hows do I do it? I have gone throug the 5.1 NDMP manual and I am a little confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13

h_m
Level 6
If you're running 5.1 then it can be an NDMP and normal drive (so can perform both tasks, but not at the same time), but it has to be configured with the path of the netapp. Look at the NDMP admin guide and also the media manager admin guide.

Scott_Gibbons
Level 4
Thank you for the reply.
I have the path setup, i am just confused with the setup of the storage unit.

h_m
Level 6
host =
Storage device = tld (robot number) ??
concurrent drives =

Also dont forgete to run ..\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin\set_ndmp_attr auth on the media server, to enable ndmp

Does this help?

Scott_Gibbons
Level 4
Thats when i get confused. the library is already defined as TLD0 so how do I define another robot for NDMP.

h_m
Level 6
Use the same robot - TLD0.

Alex_Vasquez
Level 6
Hey Scott,
NDMP can be confusing. But this is actually pretty easy.
First thing you need to do is authenticate to the NDMP filer from your netbackup master/media server. You do this with the set_ndmp_attr command.

**Note**
On the NDMP filer you need to use an account that has Root level access on the filer. Just Admin rights WILL NOT work. It is this account that you need to use for authentication from Netbackup. A good practice is to have the same user credentials (user name and password) for your netbackup admin account AND the NDMP Filer Root account.

Once authentication is setup you need to:
-Create an NDMP storage Unit
-Create an NDMP drive.
The below thread may help you as well:
http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4475310&#4475310Message was edited by:
Alex Vasquez

Scott_Gibbons
Level 4
I have made some progress. now the job will start but after about 5 minutes the tape drive will go down and the error on the filer is:

IOException: Device cannot be opened. Device may have no tape.

Here are the details on my site...

**Host Details
Master/Media Server = TRO1AP00020BKP Veritas 5.1MP5
Netapp Filer = TRO1FS00018CAD

**Storage Unit Details
Storage Unit Name = NDMP
Master Server = TRO1AP00020BKP
Storage Unit Type = NDMP
NDMP Host = TRO1FS00018CAD
Storage Device = TLD(0)
Robot Type = TLD

**Drive Details
Device Host = TRO1AP00020BKP
Device Name = tro1fs00018cad:Tape1
Robotic Library = TLD(0)

**Output From TPCONFIG -DL
Currently defined drives and robots are:

Drive NameHPUltrium3-SCSI0
Index0
NonRewindDrivePath\\.\Tape0
Typedlt
StatusUP
Shared AccessNo
TLD(0) DefinitionDRIVE=1

Drive NameHPUltrium3-SCSI1
Index1
NonRewindDrivePath/ndmp/Tape1
NDMP clienttro1fs00018cad
Typedlt
StatusUP
Shared AccessNo
TLD(0) DefinitionDRIVE=2

Currently defined robotics are:
TLD(0) SCSI port = 4, bus = 0, target = 0, lun = 0,
volume database host = troap014bkp

**Output From Set_NDMP_Attr -verify TRO1FS00018CAD
Connecting to host "tro1fs00018cad" as user "root"...
Waiting for connect notification message...
Opening session--attempting with NDMP protocol version 2...
Opening session--successful with NDMP protocol version 2
host supports TEXT authentication
host supports MD5 authentication
Getting MD5 challenge from host...
Logging in using MD5 method...
Host info is:
host name "TRO1FS00018CAD"
os type "NetApp"
os version "NetApp Release 7.0.3"
host id "0084200685"
Login was successful
Host supports LOCAL backup/restore
Host supports 3-way backup/restore

Chad_Wansing
Level 4
Scott, Looks like you have everything correct (from what I can tell) on the NBU side. Check your filer configs. Make sure the tape drives are configured as nrst (no-rewind **something** tape) drives. Also, just to make sure, you should be able to see your filer listed as an NDMP Host under Media and Device Management --> Devices --> NDMP Hosts.

Alex_Vasquez
Level 6
Scott,
I'm pretty sure the last thing you are missing is the correct NDMP host. It should also be your media/master server, not your Filer.

P.S. Don't forget to show your support for the forums by awarding points to users that gave you helpful answers. That ensures the continued usefulness of these forums.Message was edited by:
Alex Vasquez

DEJohn
Level 4
If you are going to have 2 different types of drives you will need 2 different storage units, each storage unit has to be configured per format NDMP, or media manager Ect...

Scott_Gibbons
Level 4
I thought i had it fixed, veritas looks like its writting to tape, but when i prove the NDMP session on the filer i see:

Tape.Device = Not Open

Tape.Mode = Ready Only

Mover.State = idle

Mover.Mode = Read Only

Data.byesProcseesed = 23260160

So its processed 22 mb in about 4 hrs. :(

h_m
Level 6
Filers can take a long time to walk the directory structure, then all of a sudden everything flows through, so it may be due to the fact you are running the backup for the first time, so I would say give it more time. The fact your tape is mounted and some data has been written to tape proves it's working, but even with NDMP the backup speed will still be affected by the tree and type of data on the filer.

Scott_Gibbons
Level 4
The job ran overnight and never backed up a single file....