cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New virtual master server 7.6.0.4

Soniya
Level 4

Dear All,

I have configured a new virtual stand alone master server of version 7.6.0.4 with physical media servers. Can someone suggest me the drawbacks of 7.6.0.4 in virtual master server ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Performance. Basically a virtual master is a great idea however may people scrimp on memory and processor. Make sure that you have the minimum required listed in the install guide and revisit it periodically to validate you are not affecting the overall performance of the environment. The master server does not use as much network bandwidth ass the media servers but in a large environment it can use a lot. 

Everything that can affect a physical master server (disk, memory, CPU, networks) will affect a virtual master server so pay attention to them. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Performance. Basically a virtual master is a great idea however may people scrimp on memory and processor. Make sure that you have the minimum required listed in the install guide and revisit it periodically to validate you are not affecting the overall performance of the environment. The master server does not use as much network bandwidth ass the media servers but in a large environment it can use a lot. 

Everything that can affect a physical master server (disk, memory, CPU, networks) will affect a virtual master server so pay attention to them. 

Soniya
Level 4

I ran backup of around 82 clients which is of very less data but I could see the CPU usage has gone very high around 50-60 %

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

How many CPU do you have configured and how much memory? What kind of disk is your VM running on?

DG-2005
Level 5

Pretty much this, just make sure you don't starve your master of CPU/RAM/Disk I/O (remember you have a DB running 24/7) the bigger the environment, the bigger, faster of everything you need to handle the concurrent throughput. 

Soniya
Level 4

2 CPU and 8 GB memory. VM running on local hard disks (NTFS)

Soniya
Level 4

For the physical media servers it is 24 CPUs and 64 GB memory