cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie tape question

JeroenH1
Level 3
Hello, I am rather new to netbackup (version 6.5.2 on Windows) and having a question about tape usage:
if a backup does not fit on a tape NBU automaticcaly spans it to the next tape (parameter in Host configuration, found that one) , that's fine, BUT I want a new backup to start always on a new tape, how is this possible?
In short I do not want to have multiple fragments of DIFFERENT backupjobs on 1 tape, but I do want it to be possible to span multiple tapes for one backup.

thanks for any insight
Jeroen

7 REPLIES 7

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
If you want each & every backup job or image to reside on its own tape(s) then the only way I can think of would be to have a separate Volume Pool for each Policy/Schedule/Client/Job.
I hope you have a very, very small environment or a very, very large tape library & a massive backup window! Ours is quite small compared to most:- 200 clients, 59 policies, 340 schedules, only ran 700 jobs last night BUT our library only has 116 slots & 4 tape drives & we only have ~700 tapes in total! If I wanted every backup job to be on a different tape then I'd need a minimum of 700 tapes a day (or even just 200 if I wanted it by client) & it'd take, well you do the maths!

JeroenH1
Level 3
I do have a very, very small environment (much, much smaller than yours), and I do not have the Vault option, so the offline storage is entirely up to me, and I just feel it is easier to handle this way. regards Jeroen

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
for you to have a separate VP for each client/job or whatever & then eject them at the end of each days processing?

There may be other methods, but that was the only one that came to mind.

JeroenH1
Level 3
So far that was also the only method I could think of, therefore asking here if there might be other methods. thanks Jeroen

quebek
   VIP    Certified
You can suspend tapes which were used in last 24h. NBU will not write to suspended tape.
You can use this commands in You script to do the needful:
bpimagelist -media -U -hoursago 24 |grep ":" |awk '{print $1}' |sort -u > /tmp/tape_list.txt
for i in `cat /tmp/tape_list.txt`; do bpmedia -suspend -m $i ; done

Of course this is only high lvl procedure - for sure You want to customize it!

JeroenH1
Level 3
Thank you both for your input, I thought there might be some kind of parameter that I had overlooked, but it seems there is not such a thing, so now the time comes to tweak it via the eject or suspend things, I can work that out with a script. thanks Jeroen

shans
Level 4
Better Freeze the available tape in same volume pool ..

Make sure that your new ( Fresh ) Tape needs to be active ...