cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newly Installed Master Server with issues on EMM

Jess01
Level 3

Hi Guys,

Currently, I'm maintaining 4 NBU Master Servers running on Windows 2012, NBU 7.7

On this installation, I got this following error (shown on the screenshot). I can't proceed on configuring the Tape Library and Tape Drives because of this error.

I can't even start the Enterprise Media Manager service.

This is the first time that I've encountered this problem during my installation and configuration stage.

Can anyone help me to explain why is this happening? And probably with some idea how to fix it?

Thanks,
Jess

6 REPLIES 6

Jess01
Level 3

First thing I would check,is that the NBDB database is running with nbdb_ping

As a lot oher things in Netbackup it can be a name resolution issue.

Often you get a more specific error message by using

nbdb_admin start nbdb, if it is not running.

There is some tech notes about this kind of problem, try searching on Relation database, EMM and NBDB on the support site.

Does the ../NetbackupDB/log/server.log show that the database is starting ?

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Deb_Wilmot
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Michael has very good suggestions.  

In addition, I would suggest checking <install_path>\VERITAS\NetBackupDB\data.  There should be a file in there named vxdbms.conf - check that file to make sure that the host name specified in the NB_hostname entry is correct.

In  <install_path>\VERITAS\NetBackupDB\conf, check the databases.conf, which should have paths to the databases in it and a couple of flags.   Also the server.conf has the same NB_hostname entry in the contents of the file - this should match the entry in the vxdbms.conf.

IF this is a new install - you could move data to data.orig, move the conf directory to conf.orig, create empty folders, then run  <install_path>\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\create_nbdb to recreate the databaess.

IF this is NOT a new install (but an upgrade) shutdown nbu, (bpdown -v -f), then make a copy of the staging, data and conf directories, in  <install_path>\VERITAS\NetBackupDB; then execute <install_path>\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\create_nbdb.    

This will read in the existing database files and create a new copy.

If those fail, you should open a support case for additional assistance.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Looks like this is not too much of an issue... 

@Jess01 has not been back since Monday to look for advice...

Deb_Wilmot
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Funny how that is. :)

Thanks Marianne!  Always a pleasure to hear from you!

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Debs ...

Long time no speakie ...

M