cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No NIC interfaces under current bmr backup

Jan-Olof_Erikss
Level 5

Hi,

I cant see any network interfaces under current bmr backup on Suse Linux 11 service pack 2, ok under service pack 1.

Master server is win 2008, netbackup 7.6.0.2

Suse client is 11 service pack 2, netbackup 7.6.0.2

All media servers win 2008, netbackup 7.6.0.2

On a suse linux 11 with servicepack 1 I can see the ethernet interface, netbackup 7.6.0.2

Has anyone seen this?

Regards

Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

Based on the bundle information you are using network interfaces of name "vlan##" which I do not think BMR recognizes.  All of your "eth#" interfaces are present but not up with a set IP address.  The 'vlan' interfaces are all virtual interfaces and BMR does not restore clients using virtual interfaces.  It only uses physical interfaces.Virtual interfaces require additional software and configuration information which BMR does not capture and which cannot be made part of the SRT (for the software) or the client configuration (the vlan to physical configuration).  For recovery purposes you will need to create a copy of the 'current' configuration and edit the 'Network Interfaces' section to have a IP address set for a physical interface and MAC address.

With that in place BMR will recover the client.in its usual manner. When recovering back to the same hardware (the exact same hardware with the exact same NIC interfaces) the recovered image files will restore back both the software and the configuration information that it originally had and as such the system will be back to the same networking state.  If trying to go to different system with different NICs (different MAC addresses) the vlan configuration will be invalid and the vlan interfaces will not be configured. This is the same situation when BMR recovers servers with bonded NICs.

As for your other questions:

A "Discovered' configuration is one captured from a client using the SRT and its OS to view the hardware itself and get the hardware settings, such as the visible interfaces (they will be the physical ones) as well as the disk information,such as what disks are seen, their sizes, and what are their hardware device paths, That information can be used to initialize a copied configuration to change the data to exactly match what BMR (using the SRT OS) "sees" on the hardware at restore time. The initial "current" configuration is read-only.  To make changes you must create a copy of the configuration and then edit it.  In several of the sections, on top of the change panel, you will see a selection to 'initialize' data. The default action is to initialize from a Discovered configuration (you can choose any discovered configuration, not just the one from that hardware). You can also use the configuration (can be current or the copy of current, any non-discovered) of ANY compatible hardware (i.e. same OS type).  So, yes,it is normal to have that part empty unless you did a hardware discovery action. You can create a Discovered configuration manually by doing a "Prepare To Discover" action from the Admin Console. BMR will also force a discovery action if, at restore time, it has problems mapping the visible disks to the disk information in the restore configuration used for the recovery. This typically occurs when recovering to new hardware to a system where some or all of the disks were replaced with new disks. That style of recovery is called a Dissimilar Disk Restore (DDR). 

The "Package" section is only for Windows clients.  The packages are device driver file sets for MSD and NIC adapters that BMR 'harvested' when the client configuration was created on the client itself. These are full sets that can be used by BMR to install on a recovered client when doing a DSR (Dissimilar System Restore) to different hardware that has different MSD or NIC adapters. 

I hope this helps. I will "inquire" BMR engineering about the "vlan##" style of interfaces to see if this was a regression or a situation that is "working as designed".

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

Please explain what you mean by "I cant see any network interfaces under current bmr backup on Suse Linux 11 service pack 2,".

Is this as noted in the client's "current" configuration created during the backup of the client and viewed using the Admin Console or during the recovery of same said client using BMR?

Client configuration information is captured to this file on the client itself and has information on how the data was captured:

/usr/openv/netbackup/baremetal/client/data/bundle.dat

I would be curious to take a peek at the file and see how BMR behaved when performing the configuration capture process. As SEL 11 SP2 is a new proliferation for release 7.6.0.2, I would want to make sure we did not introduced a regression in that version.

Respond and attach this file and I will get you an answer.

Jan-Olof_Erikss
Level 5

Hi Jaime,

Yes it is as noted in the client's "current" configuration created during the backup of the client and viewed using the Admin Console.

Bundle.txt is attached, renamed.

Also another question, under Admin Console, discovered cinfurations is empty, and packages is also empty, is thet normal?

Regards

Joe

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

Based on the bundle information you are using network interfaces of name "vlan##" which I do not think BMR recognizes.  All of your "eth#" interfaces are present but not up with a set IP address.  The 'vlan' interfaces are all virtual interfaces and BMR does not restore clients using virtual interfaces.  It only uses physical interfaces.Virtual interfaces require additional software and configuration information which BMR does not capture and which cannot be made part of the SRT (for the software) or the client configuration (the vlan to physical configuration).  For recovery purposes you will need to create a copy of the 'current' configuration and edit the 'Network Interfaces' section to have a IP address set for a physical interface and MAC address.

With that in place BMR will recover the client.in its usual manner. When recovering back to the same hardware (the exact same hardware with the exact same NIC interfaces) the recovered image files will restore back both the software and the configuration information that it originally had and as such the system will be back to the same networking state.  If trying to go to different system with different NICs (different MAC addresses) the vlan configuration will be invalid and the vlan interfaces will not be configured. This is the same situation when BMR recovers servers with bonded NICs.

As for your other questions:

A "Discovered' configuration is one captured from a client using the SRT and its OS to view the hardware itself and get the hardware settings, such as the visible interfaces (they will be the physical ones) as well as the disk information,such as what disks are seen, their sizes, and what are their hardware device paths, That information can be used to initialize a copied configuration to change the data to exactly match what BMR (using the SRT OS) "sees" on the hardware at restore time. The initial "current" configuration is read-only.  To make changes you must create a copy of the configuration and then edit it.  In several of the sections, on top of the change panel, you will see a selection to 'initialize' data. The default action is to initialize from a Discovered configuration (you can choose any discovered configuration, not just the one from that hardware). You can also use the configuration (can be current or the copy of current, any non-discovered) of ANY compatible hardware (i.e. same OS type).  So, yes,it is normal to have that part empty unless you did a hardware discovery action. You can create a Discovered configuration manually by doing a "Prepare To Discover" action from the Admin Console. BMR will also force a discovery action if, at restore time, it has problems mapping the visible disks to the disk information in the restore configuration used for the recovery. This typically occurs when recovering to new hardware to a system where some or all of the disks were replaced with new disks. That style of recovery is called a Dissimilar Disk Restore (DDR). 

The "Package" section is only for Windows clients.  The packages are device driver file sets for MSD and NIC adapters that BMR 'harvested' when the client configuration was created on the client itself. These are full sets that can be used by BMR to install on a recovered client when doing a DSR (Dissimilar System Restore) to different hardware that has different MSD or NIC adapters. 

I hope this helps. I will "inquire" BMR engineering about the "vlan##" style of interfaces to see if this was a regression or a situation that is "working as designed".

Jan-Olof_Erikss
Level 5

Thank,s Jaime for your answer, now I know what´s going on, I will pass this to our linux guys.

If engineering has a solution to this in the future it will probably show up in next update.

Regards

Joe