cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Way To Do A GLOBAL Exclude list

quasimodem
Level 2
So, let me see if i have this right.

we have just over 9000 clients we are converting to Netbackup, and in the process of saving money, storage space, etc., the new company directive will be to not backup certain files.... (*.mp3, *.avi, *.mpeg, etc) and from what I have seen, i will have to touch every client to exclude those files?

there isn't any way in netbackup 6.5.x to modify the default windows policy? or the default unix policy?

please tell me i'm wrong....

QM
13 REPLIES 13

Anton_Panyushki
Level 6
Certified
Please see this thread https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/client-upgrades-and-exclude-lists

In this thread I posted a script that leverages exclude list administration.

Taqadus_Rehman
Level 6
Well I have note tired this but it seems to me the solution for your query...

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/265896.htm

Taqadus_Rehman
Level 6

Please do check this artical

http://enterpriseunix.blogspot.com/2007/11/veritas-netbackup-part-4-exclude-lists.html

Dion
Level 6
Certified

You have the option of using NetBackup commands but you won't be able to get away without having to do a bit of scripting or batching.  You can use Excel to make it a bit easier to build the commands for you.  I've done mine automatically but this might just point you in the right direction.

Get a list of all your servers using something like bpplclients -allunique

You can build a list of commands in Excel using bpgetconfig -M <clientname> -X Exclude > <clientname.txt>

This should generate a file for each client with the current Exclude lists for that client

You can use anything to add you global exclusions to each of the files that were extracted earlier <clientname.txt> (e.g. echo "blah blah blah" >> <clientname.txt> if you like)

Now use Excel to build the following command for each server.

bpsetconfig -h <clientname> <clientname.txt>

where clientname.txt matches the name of the extracted file.

Note: You can't just run the bpsetconfig with your new additions as this command replaces the the entire exclude list on the client which is why you need to combine them.

Still a bit of work but possibly a bit more manageable.

Cheers

quasimodem
Level 2
I never thought this would be such a full time job.

My experience is mostly with EMC's Legato, where i can make a server side exclude list, assign it to groups, clients, etc. and they will all follow it.

I think it's a major design flaw to have to update every client when you want to exclude say /var/tmp from all your Solaris machines, or *.mp3 from your users home directories.

Maybe i'm looking at wrong, anyone have any ideas as to why there isn't a global exclude list or a way to add excludes to the enterprise?

Thanks for the answers, looks like my work just doubled (again)

QM

Giroevolver
Level 6
I find the best way is just to highlight all the clients and select properties and make a cup of tea while they all connect!

Then once you have that open you can add exclusions to all the clients at once.

Just another option for you.

Will_Restore
Level 6
I honestly don't know if this feature is still supported.  It's worth a shot.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/182189.htm

You're right, seems like it should be a lot easier for an enterprise-level product.

MattS
Level 6
I recommend choosing a few clients at a time.  For some reason i have never been able to select more than 50 or so without the java console on my desktop locking up. I have had better luck logging into my master server's gui and running the console local to it.

Sadly this only works for Windows clients.

dave_jordan
Not applicable
If you have a Windows based master server...

Logon to the Netbackup Master Server with Admin rights

Open the Backup, Archive, Restore GUI

Go to the File Menu - click Netbackup Client Properties

Click the Exclude List tab

There is a Help button that goes over syntax etc.

Stumpr2
Level 6
check it out as your solution

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
this is still done on each client

alazanowski
Level 5
While i very much like a tiered form of exclusion (I.e. you have a global exclude, then a policy level exclude, and then a client level exclude) that gets combined together at the end, i think the difficulty is saying at which point the "exceptions to exclude list" apply. If a global exclude has an exception to not backup .mdb files but you want mdb backed up on the client, which override gets taken first? I think thats why they kept it down to the client to initiate.

For windows clients i generally do a mass update to their excludes by selecting them all in the clients view (i know it freezes for awhile, it has to see if it can communicate and get version, etc.) but while im doing other work, i can come back to it and edit it then.

You should recommend it as an idea, just make sure to give examples of how the developers could handle the situation similar to my issue above. Ideas are great until it affects you in a way you didnt plan.

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6
I am using that way to do add common exclusions;