No drives are available!

Switcho
Level 4

Hi all,

One of the strangest issues i face with Netbackup,

we have a Veritas Netbakup 7.1

one master server with windows 2003 standard edition 32-bit with SP2

media server with windows 2008 enterprise edition 64-bit with SP2

the media server is connected with HP MSL 4048 2 LTO-4 Ultrium1840 FC tape library

there is another library that is connected to a different media server, and two Symantec deduplication appliances

however, any backup jobs that run using the MSL 4048 library gives "No drives are available", and it will stuck in that status,

kindly find output with a sample job below:

10/18/2011 1:15:42 PM - Info nbjm(pid=5320) starting backup job (jobid=90917) for client SR1001SQL013, policy SQL013_Local_Backup, schedule Full 
10/18/2011 1:15:42 PM - Info nbjm(pid=5320) requesting STANDARD_RESOURCE resources from RB for backup job (jobid=90917, request id:{A6FC6CBE-4083-46A3-AABC-979ECCE1AD98}) 
10/18/2011 1:15:42 PM - requesting resource sr1001bck002-hcart-robot-tld-0
10/18/2011 1:15:42 PM - requesting resource sr1001bck001.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.SR1001SQL013
10/18/2011 1:15:42 PM - requesting resource sr1001bck001.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.SQL013_Local_Backup
10/18/2011 1:15:42 PM - awaiting resource sr1001bck002-hcart-robot-tld-0 - No drives are available

i am not sure what is the issue? i have tried remove and recreate the library but this didnt help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

A couple of things to check:

1. Use robtest to make sure that there are no tapes left in the drives whcih could prevent the mounts (although i would normally expect the drives to be down in that case) - if there are tapes use robtest to move them back to their original slot and then do a reset on the drives.

2. It may be a resource allocation issue so from the Master Run:

<install_path>\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd\nbrbutil" -resetMediaServer <mediaserversname>

Do this for each media server to reset all of its drive alocations

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Have had a similar issue where the drivers in windows for the library and tape drives was missing

had to:

1.  reinstall the drivers,

2. stop Netbackup Device Service

3. remove the .deviceX and tld.lock files

4. Start Netbackup Device Service

Have also experienced the problem where reboot was the only solution

Regards

Michael

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

A couple of things to check:

1. Use robtest to make sure that there are no tapes left in the drives whcih could prevent the mounts (although i would normally expect the drives to be down in that case) - if there are tapes use robtest to move them back to their original slot and then do a reset on the drives.

2. It may be a resource allocation issue so from the Master Run:

<install_path>\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd\nbrbutil" -resetMediaServer <mediaserversname>

Do this for each media server to reset all of its drive alocations

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Check status of drives on media server as follows:

Run this on master from cmd:
<install_path>\veritas\volmgr\bin\vmoprcmd -d -h <media-server>

nbrbutil -resetMediaServer <mediaserversname> is a good idea if the above output shows no drives in use and will clean up 'orphaned' device allocations for this media server.